Beach Fishing

Markus

Hey there Fellas!

Ive been wanting to get out and do a bit of beach fishing but since i never done any before i thought it be good to hook up with someone with a bit of knowledge... finding gutters, reading the beach etc... If anyone interested in helpin out let me know :thumbup: Ill bring the beers :beersmile:

Cheers Markus!

Markus,

What sort of gear do you have? Beach fishing covers quite a wide range and gear can vary quite a bit according to what you are chasing.

If you want to throw pilchards on ganged hooks, then you need gear capable of handling say 6-9 kg line; however if you are after whiting then you can fish quite a bit lighter than that; say 3-5kg.

A six inch Alvey on a 6144 rod is not a bad bit of general purpose gear for the beach, but then I am an Alvey fan!

Get yourself a rod bucket and belt bait container; a plastic milk bottle can be cut to size if you wish to improvise on the bait container.

Beachworming is also a skill you should try and master. It can be pretty frustrating at first but is well worth the effort in the long run. They will catch just about everything you can find on the beach, except maybe tailer.

I will look up a couple of articles that I have in old fishing magazines about reading the beach.

Guest MarkD
Worming is another thing altogether, what an art. Took me ages to get a handle on it but a young talented bloke like Fishn picked it up in an afternoon at our beach day last year.

Cheers, Darryl

35414[/snapback]

and some went home empty handed :1crybaby: !!

I fish the beach at least once a week normally. Formations are not to hard to spot. Just look for differences in the way the waves break or the amount of wash etc... Spottting the deeper sections of a beach can become very simple after you do a bit of close watching.

You're outfit is fine. If you really want a good chance at some fish, just buy a few good quality pilchards and get a few of them out into the water on dusk and you should manage some nice tailor without too much effort at all. The afternoons is a good time too to try for some bream and whiting on worms, but try to fish a bit lighter for them.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that NF!

Yeah i read the post you put up a while back, i still havnt attempted any beach fishing as ive found a little rock platform and been goin there a fair bit, but hopefully soon. The only reason i posted my question is its always easier when someone shows you but thats ok i'll be giving it a go real soon.

One other thing... is it easier to find the gutters at low tide or it dosnt matter?

That sound slike some really good advice there Naked Fisherman .I have not fish the beach in years as I use to go to Stockton for 10yrs it was great fun. Any good beaches for Jews around Cronulla?Let me know when your going next and maybe I can meet up with you.

Jewie Hunter

actually I'm all revved up now to have a beach fish. All my life I've noticed at extremely low tides those fish holes where snapper and other species have been digging for pipis and other shellfish. In fact I was swimming at a beach 15 minutes north of me (Orewa) last month and just below the low tide line were HEAPS of shellfish. I even pulled up with my hand a pretty good sized crab :1yikes: which I quickly discarded.

I figure as long as I can cast to just beyond the low water point (where all them shellfish live) it should produce especially on the incoming at dusk

Will let you know soon, clutch