Bb Fad!

nic_ally_king

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to broken bay fad early next wk - weather pending of course. But, I don't have an epirb or a radio... I have a reliable 4stroke honda being serviced tomorrow on a 5.4m ally. Is there any advice anyone could give me - I only plan to go if the weather's good. I've got the rest of the gear and tackle but it just occured to me I may need to put a little thought into it...

If the weather is good are there usually still a fair few boats out there midweek? Anyone know if there's phone reception out there?

Cheers,

Nic

By the way if anyone thinks it's a stupid idea feel free to let me know.. never been further than a few k's offshore, so i'm not sure if it's a big deal or not

Mate im pretty sure (might be wrong) that you cant head out that far legally without an ebirb and radio, Double check the Waterways site....I wouldnt go out there without both, if you break down you will have no wqay to get help.

You wont have mobile reception unless you have a satelite phone

Edited by netic

Mate im pretty sure (might be wrong) that you cant head out that far legally without an ebirb and radio, Double check the Waterways site....I wouldnt go out there without both, if you break down you will have no wqay to get help.

You wont have mobile reception unless you have a satelite phone

Yeh just realised that.. Thanks for the thumbs up looks like the fads will have to wait. bugger :ranting2:

EPIRB are only compulsory for boats longer than 8M that plan to go more than 2km offshore

"An EPIRB or Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon is a simple and effective alerting and locating device that is complusory for all vessels 8m or more in length operating more than 2 nautical miles from the shore. However, it is recommended that all vessels venturing offshore carry an EPIRB."

EPIRB are only compulsory for boats longer than 8M that plan to go more than 2km offshore

"An EPIRB or Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon is a simple and effective alerting and locating device that is complusory for all vessels 8m or more in length operating more than 2 nautical miles from the shore. However, it is recommended that all vessels venturing offshore carry an EPIRB."

So correct me if i'm wrong, but 'legally' is all that's needed to go offshore a marine radio?? (and the safety gear required to register boat)...