All This Rain Turning Fish Off The Bite?

tentonner

hmmm, not too sure.. but a couple of months ago, I caught a few of tailor, Salmon and a heap of port jackson sharks off Marua break wall and it was absolutely pissing down the whole time.. :1badmood:

Ive heard that many times too..sometimes it was proven right, the toehr times not right! for an example, went on a LB session @ Wisemans after a week of rains and the locals were telling me i wont catch a thing but ended up catching 2 Massive EP's and some good size bream.. some other time, it was pouring down, fished under the Brooklyn rail bridge, only bloody eels for the whole night..

According to what ive heard its all about tooo much of fresh water mixing to brackish/salt water and turning away all the salt water speicies and bring the nasty catties and eels..

..given the forcast for the w'end i'd rather stay home, :beersmile: and watch some dvds :)

Some species love the rain but pelagics deinately don't!

Fish like bream will now move in around the drain mouths on the Parra waiting for all the crap to get washed down. Fish like your tailor and salmon will sit on the dirty water lines out the front of major rivers waiting for all the bait to get washed out.

So really it's species dependent, some love it and others just move somewhere else untill conditions become good again.

Greg

Gday Mate,

Not having an old wife to ask, I dont know how true it is. But I have had some of my best fishing trips out in the pouring rain. When it is p ssing down I will usually fish closer to the heads as the rain will wash a lot of crap into the rivers and harbour. I will also use smelly baits if the water is clouded.

cheers

Balamin bob

I was keen to test the rain/no rain theory yesterday

so hit Narra Lake at about 2pm between showers.

Due to the sou' easterly blowing..Jamieson Park looked the best

as the wind was at my back and was fairly sheltered.

I was out in my waders tossing fresh whitebait (yes, I want back to the darkside :1prop: )

and picked up two nice bream off the bat..they went back.

Then it started to rain gently...then hard..then harder! and by then I was soaked through, so thought I may as well keep fishing. The bite stopped dead when the rain was really coming down...not a touch!

I worked the weedbeds along to the point for zilch touches, so went down to where the creek/drain enters the lake by the sailing club and it was gushing out and clouded up the water. Rain stopped suddenly and in came the tailor..whach whack whack..3 in a row.. all sized, so kept one for the cat.

Rain started heavily and off the bite they went again.

So I have to say, it did have an effect on the fishing yesterday. BTW..The Barometer was at 1024 and dropping when I was there.

The rain finally stopped and wind dropped and picked up a nice flattie @ 50cm (dinner last night) on the edge of the murky water before I headed home. No pics as I dropped my camera on the driveway and smahed it...Bugger!

Cheers,

Pete.

I was keen to test the rain/no rain theory yesterday

so hit Narra Lake at about 2pm between showers.

Due to the sou' easterly blowing..Jamieson Park looked the best

as the wind was at my back and was fairly sheltered.

I was out in my waders tossing fresh whitebait (yes, I want back to the darkside :1prop: )

and picked up two nice bream off the bat..they went back.

Then it started to rain gently...then hard..then harder! and by then I was soaked through, so thought I may as well keep fishing. The bite stopped dead when the rain was really coming down...not a touch!

I worked the weedbeds along to the point for zilch touches, so went down to where the creek/drain enters the lake by the sailing club and it was gushing out and clouded up the water. Rain stopped suddenly and in came the tailor..whach whack whack..3 in a row.. all sized, so kept one for the cat.

Rain started heavily and off the bite they went again.

So I have to say, it did have an effect on the fishing yesterday. BTW..The Barometer was at 1024 and dropping when I was there.

The rain finally stopped and wind dropped and picked up a nice flattie @ 50cm (dinner last night) on the edge of the murky water before I headed home. No pics as I dropped my camera on the driveway and smahed it...Bugger!

Cheers,

Pete.

How are you Pete! That's funny about the bites stopping each time the rain started maybe fallout like acid rain Peter?

It's handy to have up to the minute conditions readings for Narrabeen and slip out and do a session right where you live. It might pay to take the wet weather gear and have a go off the beach ay mate.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: