Making Your Own Lures

jahajo

hi all

I was just reading the article in Modern Fishing about making your own poppers. Seeing as the weather for the weekend is rainy i was thinking i should make some lures. Has any tried to make a homemade lure before, if so could you please post up a picture or something that can tell people how to make it. I had a go this afternoon with a kickboard as shown in the mag but that was a major failure!! lol.

P.S Roberta nice tailor at tuross that would have fought good on bream gear!!.

Cheers Hazza

Hi Hazza

Thanks mate - I caught some bream on a home made popper a few weeks back - this one was made from a popper made from an old thong! I think it is easier to work with than the boogie board stuff.

It is called a 'thong thing' (see my version here:

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...;hl=thong+thing

Give it a go - they don't have to be perfect! Some folk even use those soft ear plugs but you need really light gear to cast them. These ones have a bit of weight to them, so toss well. :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Hazza

Thanks mate - I caught some bream on a home made popper a few weeks back - this one was made from a popper made from an old thong! I think it is easier to work with than the boogie board stuff.

It is called a 'thong thing' (see my version here:

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...;hl=thong+thing

Give it a go - they don't have to be perfect! Some folk even use those soft ear plugs but you need really light gear to cast them. These ones have a bit of weight to them, so toss well. :)

Cheerio

Roberta

What did you use to shape your thong thing. dremel,knife

If u hav kids tell them to make lures out off scubbi's hahaha :074: Srsly i was making em ass a joke and out off curiosity and fully shaped it like a prawn... The hook was in the middle of the plastic strings but to my amazement 1st cast 2 years ago caught me a lil flattie

A.dawg~~~

Theres nothing much more satisfying in fishing than to create your own lure or fly and to then catch something on it.

Use your own initiative and imagination.

Poppers are the easiest lures to make. So thats a good place to start.

... making em ass a joke and out off curiosity and fully shaped it like a prawn.....

Terrific idea, A.dawg!! :) Will play around with that idea, too :)

Hey Hazza - from memory, I just used a bench grinder to give it the basic shape & used one of those 'stone' drill bits to shape the face. The original bit of thong needs to be about twice as long as it's width (which should be square, so say, 2cm x 2cm x 4cm long or smaller if liked.) If you (or anyone else) wants to pm me your email address, I think I kept a copy of the article showing how the bloke made his 'thong things'

Cheerio

Roberta

WENT OUT ON A CHARTER BOAT COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND THE MADE THEIR OWN LURES OUT OF A CHROME RING SPANNNER WITH GANG HOOKS OFF THE END & ANOTHER LURE THE USED WAS A SET OF KNIFE & A FORK TIED TO GETHER WITH GANG HOOKS ATTACHED AND THEY CAUGHT PLENTY WITHOUT THE COST OF EXPENSIVE LURES

here are a few of the lures i have madepost-5114-1234591052_thumb.jpg the large popper and pencil are made of wood, the blades sheet metal and lead and the popper and cicada imitation were made from old thongs.

i havent tryed the small popper but both blades and the cicada have caught fish. i am now thinking about getting a lathe and making heads for large game fishing skirts

matt

Do you tie your line through the nostrils??? :074::074:

:074: Poor bugger forgot to add a nose ring!....not sure what it's suppose to be but looks like he changed his mind half way through...recon it'll pack a sting though! :biggrin2:

I remember in an old fishing book some guy had photo's of homemade lures made from old teaspoons...said they worked pretty well.

Hmmm, the old 'Pencil lure'!! Bushy used to fish for bream with those years ago!! Just cut a length of pencil (even leave the pointy end), sand off any paint, force the 'lead out' and put your line/wire thru & attach a treble at the end! Too easy!! I made some of those too more than 10 years ago, but will have to do some more! :) :)

Thanks for reminding me of that one, Matt :1prop:

Cheerio

Roberta

Hazza - teaspoons - each one makes 1 x 'spoon lure' & 1 or 2 x small metal lure (eg salmon, tailor)

& S/S knives - makes a knife jig if left whole, or one BIG metal lure from the handle & a lighter one from the blade!

Just don't raid your Mum's best cutlery drawer!!! Try the Sallies & Vinnies shops! :)