More Clontarf Fun, Flounder This Time

beeroll

Well, after the fun of night fishing Clontarf, I gave it a go on Sunday arvo. There were not a lot of people down on the beach, understandably, but the tide was in the same phase it was the other night - ie, on the run out, and there were lots of storm-water runoffs that would have made it, um, gross for swimming, but good news for fishos, you'd reckon. There was one guy fishing off the swimming net structure, he didn't seem to be having any luck, and another bloke showed up a bit later with some hard lures, but I don't know how he did, because I'd started heading down the beach by that point.

So I was back on the chicken thigh strips that worked so well Sunday night, and there was a lot of interest from little fish - yakkas and toads, mostly. I love the way those little toads will hang on to the bait as it comes out of the water.

Actually, I hate that! Little $%^s!!!

There was nothing doing around the beach, no serious bites at all, so I headed along the beach to the rocks where there was some shelter from the wind and rain. There didn't seem to be any toads there, which was nice, but there were no other bites for the first few minutes either. Then what felt like a slow snag, which suddenly started to move around, and what washes up, but a nice flounder! I didn't have my measuring stick with me, but I reckon he was about 30cm - my foot in the photo is 25cm. But I hadn't checked size and bag limits for flounder, so I had no idea whether he was legal or not! :( As it turns out, probably, and they are delicious.

But I wasn't sure, so back he went - the first thing that happened was that he got washed way up the beach by the waves! :biggrin2: but with a bit of extra encouragement, he figured out which way to go, and off he swam.

Another crap photo from my crap camera phone, sorry - but I wasn't taking any decent camera gear out in that! I got soaked!!!

But it's all good fun.

post-9436-1234683553_thumb.jpg

Doesnt matter that your camera phone is crappy, its the great camoflage those flounders have that make a photo hard.

You got that right - the phone actually did better than I thought - the screen is, if possible, even worse than the camera, so I couldn't tell whether I'd actually got the flounder in shot or not!

Urchin, yes, delicious eating - next time I will have my size limits memorised!!!