Matching Rod To Reel

dustyfmoz

I have recently purchased a calcutta TE 400. I am probably going to spool it up with 8-10kg braid (prob green platypus). I am primarily going to use it for salt water fishing, mostly on the boat, trolling, a little bit of flicking and some bottom bashing/jigging. I was wondering if there was a rod that would suit the reel and be able to fulfil all of those jobs. I have always been partial to the Silstar Crystal Tip rods, but any suggestions are welcome. Cheers.

was looking maybe up to about $250. some of the contenders i have looked at to date (but only on paper) are:

t curve shimano - 10kg

tyrnos med jig/troll 10-15kg

sfs tekota (steve starling?)

silstar crystal power tips:

PC-561 CAH 8-10kg HEAVY BAITCAST

PC-561SWM 8-15KG BOAT FAST TAPER

PC-601TBM 6-8KG MEDIUM DOUBLE HAND OVERHEAD

I am not in a rush, it would be a crying shame to have a good reel and put it on a crappy rod.

Edited by dustyfmoz

mmmm, haven't ever bought a custom rod before. Without seeming too ignorant, aint they a bit of a hassle to organise? If I can find something off the shelf that works, being a bit lazy that would prob be the way I would go. But if he's close and not to pricey, I'll definitely have a squiz. cheers. any other suggetions still welcome though......

tried several times to send in an inquiry to the Shearwater site, but came up with an error every time. Where and when is the social day? Disregard, looked it up on the forums. Unfortunately other side of town and water tpt req'd. Time and prior commitments will prevent me from going to this one, maybe later though. Cheers anyways.

Edited by dustyfmoz

Guest Target

Send Allen a PM via this site.

Its nots a hassle to get a rod that suits you, not the marketing guys. Might take a while to make, not sure on Allens workload at the moment, but to get a rod that suits your reel, line weight and fishing style certainly makes a big difference over a factory rod. If you are spending near $400 on a reel, it makes sense to get the most out of it. Also I think the factory range of rods in double handed baitcasters to suit that reel would be limited.

Adrian

I have recently purchased a calcutta TE 400. I am probably going to spool it up with 8-10kg braid (prob green platypus). I am primarily going to use it for salt water fishing, mostly on the boat, trolling, a little bit of flicking and some bottom bashing/jigging. I was wondering if there was a rod that would suit the reel and be able to fulfil all of those jobs. I have always been partial to the Silstar Crystal Tip rods, but any suggestions are welcome. Cheers.

35665[/snapback]

Cant see any problems with that and Id have little probelm fitting around that price

range.

send me an email on aglover@shearwaterrods.com.au

btw getting a custom may be a bit of a hassle to start with but its less hassle than fishing for years with something that isnt quite right

A

• 3 weeks later...