I'm Thinking About Buying A Boat

Tim

G'day fellas

I'm seriously considering buying myself a boat. I'd like to get a second-hand centre console in the 5.5 to 6m range with around 70-90hp on the back. Probably aluminium. I will mainly fish around broken bay & brisbane water, and then outside later on when I get some experience under my belt.

The only downside I can think of in doing this, is that I will have to sell my beloved Torana to get the fundage for it. :thumbdown: . As much as I love it, I know I will get more use out of a boat. I reckon I could get about $9k for the torrie, so that will be my approx price range to look at.

I've been checking the trading post & other classifieds but at the moment I haven't really seen what I'm after. For this price, I'm assuming that I should be able to get something fairly young & in good condition. What do you guys reckon?

Any tips on buying a boat, and also about how much it would cost to run a boat like this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Mate they are a deadset money pit. You are forever spending money on them changing things, installing new things, maintenance. Not trying to scare you off just letting you know. But if you coped with a car like a torana (I'm assuming you piled $$ into it) then you should be ok. For prices, have a look at the boatpoint website.

Tim

Won't find much newer stuff in that size for that price range. Infact thats the sort of value im putting on my tub ATM and youve seen that !!

My tip is take your time. research needs and settle on a hull type/ brand first.

Then look for the best package available in your price range. dont let your eagerness make you lump for the first boat you see. It may take you months of frustrating searches all along the eastern seaboard but it will turn up eventually.

Yeah good advice AG. Tim, a good 5 meter centre console will be over 9k, you may see some advertised but be carefull. Like AG said take your time and see what you money gets you. Look for motor service history and obvious signs of neglect on any used boat. Oh and most importantly keep asking questions if your not sure on anything with your search, there is a lot of knowledgable boaties here who can help.

Good luck :thumbup:

PS Gotta love the torrie

Thanks Grant.  I'm a very proud owner.  She's a great car & it will be a very sad day if I sell her.

btw, triple strombergs, but close enough.

35842[/snapback]

He He, oh yeah. Your right, close enough. :1prop: Its been too long since I mucked around with that stuff. Problem is im learning so many new things these days the old stuff is dissappearing - and fast.

BTW - Have you checked AdamK's boat ?? I reckon it would suit you down to the ground.  Dunno what his price is or the flexibility ??

35841[/snapback]

Yer adam is selling his boat and im sure he is asking around 15k for it.

Hiya, there are bargains in your price range, if you have the patience to look for a while, get up early etc basically do The Castle thing (tell him he's dremin' :1prop: ).

I scored a 5.8m (19ft) mako centre comsole on a top tandem trailer with twin Chryslers :thumbdown: for the grand total of $3000. Basically made the offer, the vendor got the tom tits, but rang me back four weeks later and accepted! Traded the white anchors and put a reconditioned 6 year old 115hp Yammie on the bum (never missed beat) Replaced the transom after discovering wood rot. But still, after a few months cleaning and adding a few things like stainless steering wheel, carpet, sounder, covers etc came out with an awesome awesome yankee style sportsfisher for all up $8000!!!! Cried when I sold her!!!!!

Mate, on a trailer a 5.8-6m boat even a console is bloody huge. Older Two stroke outboards of the size you'll need can be thirsty beasts. I would average about $100 a trip of four-five hours with mixed trolling drifting and anchored fishing.

One thing about bigger boats; it means you generally have to find crew!! 5.8m can also restrict you in shallow water flat water fishing, but still I managed to often troll up whiting up past roseville!! cheers Bombie

Guest Jocool

You seem to be getting good advice here. So all I will say is....Awesome car Tim. Reminds of the LC I used to have! :thumbup:

Hi guys

Thank you all very much for the tips that you've given me. All some really useable & constructive points for me to ponder. I really appreciate it.

Also, thanks Clarkie for the tips about selling the torrie.

Cheers

Tim