What Am I Doing Wrong

xib

hey guys when fishing out of jb this weekend we had trouble getting a marlin to hit the bait. this was made more fustraiting when we herd of boats with multiple hookups. we were fishing the same area using the same techniques (walking the baits) but we couldent get a strike till after lunch when the fish shut down(we didnt get a solid hookup because we hit the fish to early being all excited). after talking to a fellow jb gfc boat we found out they had 4 hookups 1 tagged and 3 snaped off at the boat. this lead us to assume that the 300lb jinki we were using was to heavy and therefore we got less strikes. my question is would i be right in saying that our leaders were to heavy and if so what brand and breaking strain do you suggest.

matt

hey guys when fishing out of jb this weekend we had trouble getting a marlin to hit the bait. this was made more fustraiting when we herd of boats with multiple hookups. we were fishing the same area using the same techniques (walking the baits) but we couldent get a strike till after lunch when the fish shut down(we didnt get a solid hookup because we hit the fish to early being all excited). after talking to a fellow jb gfc boat we found out they had 4 hookups 1 tagged and 3 snaped off at the boat. this lead us to assume that the 300lb jinki we were using was to heavy and therefore we got less strikes. my question is would i be right in saying that our leaders were to heavy and if so what brand and breaking strain do you suggest.

matt

Matt

Next time your out fishing try a leader out of 150 Pink Ande connected to a 10/0 circle (eagle claw)

on one of your outfits run opposite the 300 lb and if the lighter leader resultes in more bites (which you would expect) then it answers

the question using a circle helps for one of numerous reasons in giving you a lot more latitude with leader fatigue but this may also come down to

what you will be comfortable with ...I personally use 130 lb flurocarbon leader on our rigs and have

experianced very few problems in doing so and most definently goes towards resulting in getting more bites.

Try it and see how you go but use a circle hook at the very least

Cheers Warnie

Edited by ungry warnie

thanks for the responce guys and Warnie i will certainly try out what you suggested and while live baiting i allways use circles. the reason we went to 300lb was because the only other marlin weve ever hooked was on a lure rigged with 100lb and in the 30 seconds it was on it all but cut through.

matt

thanks for the responce guys and Warnie i will certainly try out what you suggested and while live baiting i allways use circles. the reason we went to 300lb was because the only other marlin weve ever hooked was on a lure rigged with 100lb and in the 30 seconds it was on it all but cut through.

matt

Matt

A 100 lb leader on lures for beakies is considered to be on the light side at the best of times and in most cases the end result will favour towards the fish coming out the winner.

To most game fisho's using Jinkai (as mentioned by you) as a leader option of choice rates very low in comparison with other popular option's one being Moi Moi ultra hard a very good quality leader that is held in high regard and a 100 lb Moi Moi leader would of evened the odds in your favour substantially.

Sorry I presumed to you using a J hook for that's was what I thought you where referring to when you mentioned hitting the fish early... IE striking as opposed to just been to excited....

Remember when the fish takes the bait just let it go then casualy leaning back on the rod and at the same time gradually applying increasing drag pressure you will come up tight on the fish... it's then game on!!!! the exception to this is if the fish jumps then that indicates that he has felt the hook in which case you would then immedietly go to full strike with the result being.... once again game on !!!!!!

Cheers Warnie

thanks again for the tips Warnie the fact that i basicly put the drag strait to strike was obviosly a contributing factor into why we didnt hookup. i have seen guys hookup on circles exactly how you described but once agian i must admit it was excitement that got the better of me. it was a costly mistake but one i wont forget. once again thanks

matt

Hi xib,

We were fishing out of Jervis on the weekend and found although there were quite a few fish around the bait was scattered and had to work hard to catch fish.

Your leader is relative to the line clss that your usig. 300lbs would be ok if you were using 37kg like alot of boats we saw.

A good sounder is important when bait fishing as you will get far more hookups whe fishing over the top of a productive bait school.

When the bait is deep as it was Sunday you can also try breakaway sinkers or stop the boat and let the slimies swim down towards the bait school. You can intice a bite by jigging up a full string of slimies.

You will increase your hookup rate usig a good circle like an eagleclaw, and as warnie has said there is no rush take your time and go easy. No need for any striking. If you don't quite understand how a circle works try put a rigged one in a bucket and pull it out fast in the opposite direction. Then try it slowly.

Good luck with it on yoiur next trip.

hey mike we were using 24kg tackle and although it was deep we had no trouble finding or catching live bait. infact we ended off with so much the we started just leaving full strings of slimies under the boat (when drifting) to try and bring the fish to the boat.

matt