Oil Shelf Life

pappy

[hi all can any one tell me if outboard oil such as xd 100 has a used by date or it shelf life if unopened. thanks pappy

I would also be interested. I was once advised by a rep of a large oil company that most modern, hi-tech oils contained additives and detergents that lasted no longer than 6 months wether or not the engine had consistent use or sat idle for that period of time.

Not sure if it was a spiel by him to sell more oil or not, but he was saying that no matter if you only done x amount of miles or hours on the engine in that time frame, that the oil would still lose it's lubricating properties.

Fact or fiction?

Cheers

Mariner

Thats fact Mariner.

I used to be a car mechanic and remember learning that at tech.

I don't think sitting on the shelf unopened counts toward the 6 months (who knows how long it's been in that container in transport to the shop, sitting on the shelf etc), but yeah once you put it in a motor you've basicly got 6 months untill it's not doing it's job properly anymore. That's why the service schedules in cars say 10,000K or 6 months, (what ever comes first) untill you're due for your next service. Some newer cars say 15,000K or 6 months but I personally reckon 15K is too long to leave it every time. Now and then you might go a few K's over or maybe a bit longer than 6 months for what ever reason and it's not critical, but I wouldn't get in the habbit, especially if you have a nice new car you intend on keeping for a long time.

If it operates under what the manufacturers call "severe operating conditions" thats basicly using the car to tow all the time or always in very dusty environment etc. you should service it more regular, like 5,000 K's or 3 months.

You don't need to use expensive oil, I don't, as long as you change it regularly and use GOOD OIL FILTERS.

Hope this helps mate.

:beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

Edited by LittleNoah

thanks for your replies i should have said 2 stroke oil.what i am getting at is to days 2 stroke outboards like my etec use so little oil will the oil in the tank go off before it all used also the 4 liter top up bottle could be over 12 mouth old before it all used. pappy

In respect to the BRP synthetics I was warned to keep unused bottles in the box and out of direct sun. I notice the bigger containers aren't clear. I would phone or email BRP and get it from the horses mouth and ask about unopened oils and sun exposure , on shelf life and life in onboard container be it under cowl or external. . On the boat our oil container is behind a opaque door.

Edited by pelican

i hope huey has a answer to this as i would hate to blow up my motor because out of date oil .thanks for your replys. pappy

Hi Pappy, XD-100 (P/N 764357) will not have an issue being stored in a constant temp place for a long time especially if unopened. What we have found with the I-2 E-TEC, if the engine is set on XD-100 setting at pre-delivery, the average boater is using less than a bottle a year so no need to stock up, just get one bottle at a time and enjoy your new rig.

More important is to make sure she is set-up right, at the right height and propped to see 5400-5600 at WOT with your normal load-that is the sweet spot for the 40HP.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Pappy, XD-100 (P/N 764357) will not have an issue being stored in a constant temp place for a long time especially if unopened. What we have found with the I-2 E-TEC, if the engine is set on XD-100 setting at pre-delivery, the average boater is using less than a bottle a year so no need to stock up, just get one bottle at a time and enjoy your new rig.

More important is to make sure she is set-up right, at the right height and propped to see 5400-5600 at WOT with your normal load-that is the sweet spot for the 40HP.

Cheers,

Huey.

thanks huey for answering my question about the oil .i have the motor set on no 3 hole it has a 15 pit viper prop not sure of wot rev as it has no tacko.thanks pappy