Spit Canoe Kings 28/2

kingiemaster

Howdy Raiders,

Went out in the canoe this morning from the Spit and went through the normal process, catch squid and start fishing around 7am using the downrigger. One boat had already caught a rat and there appeared to be a few fish on the sounder so it was looking promising.

Downrigger between the moorings things where looking a bit a quiet. Then I saw some good marks on the sounder at 40 feet where the bait was set and sure enough the rod buckled over fiercely with line screaming off the reel and I knew that this was the fish I have been waiting for all season. With the fish powering away behind me towards the moorings I paddled into the middle of the channel, so at least I was away from danger, then wound up the bomb. Ready to fight I pushed the drag past strike but the fish just pulled harder, then PING!. All over. :1badmood:

Wound the line to find the line to assess the damage. Good news is that is it didn't part at any of my knots. Bad news is that it parted 10 cm below the swivel and I suspect it was due to an accidental knot in the 60lb trace.

So having been meticulous in my preparation and persisting with my heavy outfit all season I end up losing a good fish to a knot in the trace that could have been avoided.

Despite thinking I had done my dash for the day I pressed on fishing and was rewarded with a nice 4 kg 79 cm model which a PB from the canoe. This fish fought hard but still a long way short of the fish I lost.

post-3858-1235820971_thumb.jpg

post-3858-1235821003_thumb.jpg

So a mixed day for me but promising all the same. Now I'm even more determined to a get a metre plus King into the canoe.

Dave

That was bloody unlucky with the first kingy Dave :( You've got the canoe all decked out with a downrigger, the gear is all squared away, (as are your knots), and something like that happens! :1badmood:

Congrats on the new PB. It's only a matter of time before that big hood graces your canoe I reckon! :thumbup: Keep the reports coming mate

Cheers

Hodgey

Kingiemaster, that yak of yours must be covered in goop, you definitely have been consistent on the kings. Watch out for the man in the grey suit though. I feel a little better being a little higher above the water!

cheers

Howdy Raiders,

Went out in the canoe this morning from the Spit and went through the normal process, catch squid and start fishing around 7am using the downrigger. One boat had already caught a rat and there appeared to be a few fish on the sounder so it was looking promising.

Downrigger between the moorings things where looking a bit a quiet. Then I saw some good marks on the sounder at 40 feet where the bait was set and sure enough the rod buckled over fiercely with line screaming off the reel and I knew that this was the fish I have been waiting for all season. With the fish powering away behind me towards the moorings I paddled into the middle of the channel, so at least I was away from danger, then wound up the bomb. Ready to fight I pushed the drag past strike but the fish just pulled harder, then PING!. All over. :1badmood:

Wound the line to find the line to assess the damage. Good news is that is it didn't part at any of my knots. Bad news is that it parted 10 cm below the swivel and I suspect it was due to an accidental knot in the 60lb trace.

So having been meticulous in my preparation and persisting with my heavy outfit all season I end up losing a good fish to a knot in the trace that could have been avoided.

Despite thinking I had done my dash for the day I pressed on fishing and was rewarded with a nice 4 kg 79 cm model which a PB from the canoe. This fish fought hard but still a long way short of the fish I lost.

post-3858-1235820971_thumb.jpg

post-3858-1235821003_thumb.jpg

So a mixed day for me but promising all the same. Now I'm even more determined to a get a metre plus King into the canoe.

Dave

Great Kingie there Dave,

If you want any company out on the water, let me know. Im keen to get out on my kayak and land some decent kingies.

Cheers,

Jeff