Fresh Water Fish Tank

Croft

Hi Guys, wasn't sure which forum to put this in, so feel free to move it if I'm not right. I got myself a freshwater tank (4x1.5x1.5) on the weekend, so went down to the lake to see if I could catch some new pets. I was hoping for a yellow belly, but got 5 redfin instead. Any ideas on what to feed them? There are only so many worms and bugs I can catch. Was thinking of setting up a worm farm.

BTW the plan is to eventually have a cod, is this tank big enough? Any ideas for other natives?

Hi Guys, wasn't sure which forum to put this in, so feel free to move it if I'm not right. I got myself a freshwater tank (4x1.5x1.5) on the weekend, so went down to the lake to see if I could catch some new pets. I was hoping for a yellow belly, but got 5 redfin instead. Any ideas on what to feed them? There are only so many worms and bugs I can catch. Was thinking of setting up a worm farm.

BTW the plan is to eventually have a cod, is this tank big enough? Any ideas for other natives?

Im not quite sure whether the tank would be big enough for a cod..but redfins should be fine...after all they're pests anyway! :)

try the local aquarium, they usually have frozen blood worms...or the cheapest alternative with benefits would be a Compost pit!! it will provide you plenty of worms as well as good fertilizer!!

Edited by ritchie

thanks for that, do you think I could put a yellowbelly or bass or anything in with them?

ummm..no idea mate..but given both species live in fresh water i dont see an isse but what u gonna feed the bass?.. dont they normally feed on insects?

Hi Croft,

You sure can keep bass in a fish tank, some times they pop up in the fish shops for about 10 bucks ea for a little 5cm speciman, it is farily common for people to keep Barra's and Saratoga's in their tanks. The best advice is to pop into your local fish shop and have a chat with them. Let me know where you live and I can point you in the right directions to some good shops around you. I have been keeping fish for years, just not natives.

Cheers,

Sha

You'll need a bigger tank for the cod if you want it to grow a decent size, aquarium fish tend to get stunted if you dont give them suitable space to swim. For food, brine shrimp, blood worms, mysis, you might even be able to wean them onto pellet food. Maybe farming your own crickets would be good too.

Justin

hey mate, i have kept pretty much all natives at some time or another in my tank thats only 3x1.5x1.5 and they have all been fine. They tend to slow down in growth oncce they get to a certain size and you can just take them back to the aquarium shop and swap them for a smaller model as they are worth more to the shop when they are big anyways. Cod are very aggressive and great to watch. All natives will eat frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, pellets or live feeder fish.

good luck

Thanks guys, Im picking up a box of crickets to feed them today. Have been feeding them worms so far. I live in Canberra, all the pet shops I've been to so far don't sell natives, and have no idea what to feed them. So anyway, the plan is to set up a worm farm (maybe a cricket one as well) and get some yellows and bass together in the tank and get rid of the pest reddies :)