Terminal Tackle Rigging Kits

Hi folks,

I was hoping to pick the brains of a few people out there. I'm just starting to get into some game fishing here in Batemans Bay from a 560C Bar Crusher, running 15kg and 24kg mono on all reels, such as Tiagra and Okuma 30's and Tld 50's. I've been slowly picking up a few lures which are already rigged but I'd like to make up my own and prepare traces for livebaiting and the like.

My question is, what type of terminal tackle and rigging kits should I be looking at? Is it worth purchasing an already made up kit with crimping tool, crimps, shackles, leader etc? A few kits I've seen have a few hundred individual items for different line classes/purposes and retail for aound $200, but I'm not sure of their quality. Or would a few well chosen items be more suitable for my needs? What do you guys think?

I'd rather have a smaller quality range of terminal tackle suited to the line classes I'm fishing than a heap of stuff that never gets wet. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.......

Dave

I use three different mono leaders only on the boat, our light is 150lbs, medium 250lbs, and heavy is 600lbs. I have my crimp kit set up so I only have the correct 3 crimps on board for the line. This eliminates any confusion whatsover and results in 0% terminal tackle failure due to missmatched crimps etc. I use Jinkai hand swagging pliers and buy the crimps from Wellsys in Bulk pacts of 500 or 1000. You then also need your amour spring etc but once again you buy only the three different sizes you need. Buy bulk and only buy the sizes you want and for around $200.00 you will have all your crimping needs sorted out for at least a few years.

Cheers - Bat

I use three different mono leaders only on the boat, our light is 150lbs, medium 250lbs, and heavy is 600lbs. I have my crimp kit set up so I only have the correct 3 crimps on board for the line. This eliminates any confusion whatsover and results in 0% terminal tackle failure due to missmatched crimps etc. I use Jinkai hand swagging pliers and buy the crimps from Wellsys in Bulk pacts of 500 or 1000. You then also need your amour spring etc but once again you buy only the three different sizes you need. Buy bulk and only buy the sizes you want and for around $200.00 you will have all your crimping needs sorted out for at least a few years.

Cheers - Bat

G'day Bat,

Thanks for the tips mate, sounds like a plan. What brand of leader material do you prefer? Thanks again....

Dave

G'day Bat,

Thanks for the tips mate, sounds like a plan. What brand of leader material do you prefer? Thanks again....

Dave

Hello Dave,

I use Shogun mono for all our leaders, because I use so much of it I have to factor it into our costs, Shogun is the line most commercial users chose. I buy it in 1000m rolls which makes it cost effective, you wont use anywhere near this so any of the good brands are the go. Its hard to go past Jinkai when talking leaders.

Hello Dave,

I use Shogun mono for all our leaders, because I use so much of it I have to factor it into our costs, Shogun is the line most commercial users chose. I buy it in 1000m rolls which makes it cost effective, you wont use anywhere near this so any of the good brands are the go. Its hard to go past Jinkai when talking leaders.

HI Scott,

Thanks for that. I've been using Jinkai for all my lighter traces for a while now and it's been great. I had a chat with my local tackle supplier here in Batemans Bay yesterday and picked up some 250lb Momoi trace, quality pliers, crimps, protective tubing and in line circles. Will spend the day off today making up some traces and going through the gear for a bit of an effort while I'm off next week (weather permitting).

Thanks for the info. It's a bit of a learning curve from snapper and the like to the larger sports fish, but plenty of fun to be had on the way. I'm jumping onboard with a local charter in the next couple of weeks and hope to pick up a few tips hands on. I can read all I like but I always learn more having a go, making a few mistakes on the way. Makes for a few good stories over a beer anyway. Much appreciated and thanks again.....

Dave

Black Pete do a kit which has just about everything you need. I hear what you are saying about only buying what you need, but you will find the more you get in to game fishing, the more variety you are after. Limiting yourself to 3 leader sizes is quite narrow. All lures should be judged on their merit in regards to leader size, and live bait traces sometime require to be very light to entice that bite!

We have live bait traces starting from 130lb fluro (our primary choice), then 200lb, 250lb, 300lb, 400lb and 600lb mono. All will be used in different applications. For instance, skip baiting a striped Tuna ill cll for the 300lb or 400lb trace.

Cheers

Anthony

I have the Black Pete one and its brilliant

Contact Go Fish he will help you out

KF

Black Pete do a kit which has just about everything you need. I hear what you are saying about only buying what you need, but you will find the more you get in to game fishing, the more variety you are after. Limiting yourself to 3 leader sizes is quite narrow. All lures should be judged on their merit in regards to leader size, and live bait traces sometime require to be very light to entice that bite!

We have live bait traces starting from 130lb fluro (our primary choice), then 200lb, 250lb, 300lb, 400lb and 600lb mono. All will be used in different applications. For instance, skip baiting a striped Tuna ill cll for the 300lb or 400lb trace.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Anthony and KF, I've seen the black pete kits but wasn't sure of their quality. Atleast now I have a starting point and as i fish more, I'll work out what I need, want and just plain HAVE TO HAVE!! Boys and their toys....

Thanks guys for the input, just have to get out there now and have a go. All the best......

Dave