Wiring Help Please!

groperman

I was wiring my sounder last weekend and just came across an issue. I bought a lowrance sounder, the power cable came with a red (pos), black (neg) and white (earth) cable. It told me to put a in-line switch in the circuit and also a 3AMP fuse close to the battery's positive side.

So I bought a pull switch with 2 terminals (one pwr and one acc), given a lack of information on which side each of the terminal is on the switch i just connected one side with the positive and one side with the negative. Since there is no room for the earth cable I just end capped the white cable and put electrical tape around it.

So from the sounder I have pos going into one side of the pull switch and neg going into the other side. Then the positive goes to a fuse and then to the positive side of the battery. The negative goes straight to the switch and then to the negative side of the battery.

The problem I have is when I have the switch pulled up (turned off), as soon as I connect the cables to the battery the fuse blows. But as soon as I have the switch pulled down (turned on) everything is ok.

What is going on??? I want to be able to turned the switch off without the fuse blowing, can anyone help? Thanks!

BLACK cable straight to negative battery

POSITIVE from Battery to inline fuse.

other side of fuse to PWR on pull switch

RED from sounder to ACC on pull switch.

The way you have it wired currently is a dead short between + and - when the switch is turned on

Dave

I was in the same boat not long ago after buying my new Lowrance LMS 527 gps/sounder and not being to proficient with electricals i called in my bro who has rebuilt plenty of pinball machines (if u ever saw whats under the playfield would be instant migrane ,lights,switches and cables everywhere) .so i just used a waterproof toggle switch on the positive cable in front of the inline fuse straight to the positive on the battery.the white wire is blocked off and the black cable straight to the negative. All the conections are soldered and tubeshrink has been used to keep water out .Now i only have to get him to come and hook up the overhead deck lights. if its a 2 prong switch u should have positive on 1 side and positive on other so its inline like the fuse is ,no negative wire to it .Dont forget all the switch is doing is braking and connecting the positive circuit.

Edited by Frantic

The problem is my switch does not show me which side is power and which side is accessories, or it doesnt really matter?

post-3502-1236243384_thumb.jpg

Will that circuit do?

Also ppl has told me not to turn the sounder on whilst im out of the water, i've done it twice but only for a short period of time to test my sounder. What sort of damage does it to do to my sounder?

The problem is my switch does not show me which side is power and which side is accessories, or it doesnt really matter?

Will that circuit do?

Also ppl has told me not to turn the sounder on whilst im out of the water, i've done it twice but only for a short period of time to test my sounder. What sort of damage does it to do to my sounder?

Don't matter which side is ACC, the switch is just a break in the circuit.

Will that circuit do?

bingo

and the reason you dont run your sounder out of the water is that your transducer is cooled by the water ,not sure if its a huge issue with low power transducers but with a 1kw unit it would be

but to make sure just disconect the transducer and run the sounder demo mode

cheers arman

bingo

and the reason you dont run your sounder out of the water is that your transducer is cooled by the water ,not sure if its a huge issue with low power transducers but with a 1kw unit it would be

but to make sure just disconect the transducer and run the sounder demo mode

cheers arman

I've got the Lowrance X515CDF unit which has 4000watts peak to peak and 500watts RMS

Would there be a big issue running that out of the water? cause like i said ive done it twice already :(

Also should i bother putting a fuse in the negative side?

You do not need to put a fuse in negative side,just in the positive side.I dont think you would of damaged transducer running it out of water for a short test,if you sat in your front yard for a day with it on then maybe you could overheat it,but a quick test would be fine.

You do not need to put a fuse in negative side,just in the positive side.I dont think you would of damaged transducer running it out of water for a short test,if you sat in your front yard for a day with it on then maybe you could overheat it,but a quick test would be fine.

FYI Furuno insist on a fuse on the neg side or you void warranty!, something about getting a dead short to an alloy hull and current killing the sounder through the earth.

Question above has been asked before, most pro installs of lowrance they do not install the switch just the correct rated fuse. If you want to run the switch heed the excellent advise given above, your neg should be nowhere near that switch

I've got the Lowrance X515CDF unit which has 4000watts peak to peak and 500watts RMS

Would there be a big issue running that out of the water? cause like i said ive done it twice already :(

Also should i bother putting a fuse in the negative side?

groper man ,you would not of damaged it as i have driven home from the ramp and left the sounder on, a couple of times and had no dramas ,that was a 600watt rms unit ,i would not want to do it with my current sounder as it costs plenty`,lol

no need to put a fuse on the negative side,the only units that ive seen that are wired like that are the furuno units,again as it is not asked by lowrance, there is no need

but if you want to test your unit disconect the transducer from the back of the sounder,and then put the sounder in demo mode

or

just throw a few rods in the boat and test it in the drink

cheers arman

Hi Groperman,

when i installed my sounder, i ran a separate pos and neg line direct from the battery. i installed two inline fuses on the positive line, one from the battery and one near the sounder. i am not sure why you need to run the sounder through a switch as i would think the one you have has an on/off button on the sounder itself. i am unclear what directions the manufacturer has stated but it appears awfully complicated when in fact it needn't be.

Cheers

:thumbup: