Which Boat?

wishihadaboat

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a boat within the next 6 months, I'm trying to narrow down my choices. Firstly I was after something that on trailer length would not exceed 5.5M so I could keep it garaged but realising it limits my choices substantially I decided that I could put up with storing it outside under cover. So length is not so much of an issue now. I'm looking for something to fish outside in, explore the bays and harbour with family, so a bit of an alrounder. I have a Toyota Camry Altise (08 model - 1200KG braked towing capacity).

At the moment I am hooked on the flexibility, versatility and quality of many of the alloy manufacturers Bowriders.

The boats I am looking at so far are:

1 - Stacer 525 Easy Rider

2 - Savage SL500 Scorpion Bowrider.

3 - Quintrex 500 Freedom Sport Bowrider.

Surely a few of you have these boats or know abit more about them than I do, so all advice or opinions appreciated. By the way the lengths I have mentioned are ball park, anything between 480-540 that suits my needs and is priced below about $23,500 is ideal. Cheers.

Gday Mate

Before you decide remember that the Rose Hill Boat show is comming up on the 14th and 15th of March,

It may be worth while looking to see what there is to offer out there and you can compare the boats that you are looking at against each other in one place.

I know that I did this prior to buying my last boat and found it a great help

Cheers

Balmain Bob

G'day Bob,

Thanks for the response mate, will take that on board and most definitely be at the show :thumbup:

I'm pretty set on the Bow Rider aspect but realise there are other manufacturers than those I listed who make good boats in that area too. Anyone here worry about taking a 480-540 length bow rider off shore???

Gday Mate

Before you decide remember that the Rose Hill Boat show is comming up on the 14th and 15th of March,

It may be worth while looking to see what there is to offer out there and you can compare the boats that you are looking at against each other in one place.

I know that I did this prior to buying my last boat and found it a great help

Cheers

Balmain Bob

you can get trailers with foldable goose neck that savee length and allow a larger boat in the same storage space and they don't cost much extra from new.

Surprised that is all a camry can tow braked

Take the opportunity if there is any on water tests after the show so you can experience what they feel like on the water.

Just e careful with sizes and check their people carrying capacity as I have bee surprised at some boats only being good for 3 adults.

There is a lot of good value in second hand boats at the minute with people losing jobs etc so you may find what you are after at quite adiscount with accessories already fitted. With that in mind talk with teh sponser so he can call if someone has somethng suitable to trade as a lot of dealers won't trade much at this tim eof year unless they know they can resell it if you know what I mean.

Lots of looking and trying and get what you want first time so you can enjoy it for a lot of years.

Oh yeah - beware of cheap crap trailers unless you are paying accordingly as there is some real rubbish out there and it is so much better to get a good one to start with

Edited by pelican

For the price range you indicate, I guess you will be buying second hand. Look for one of the newer boats, most boats built on or after 1 July 2006 should have an Australian Builders Plate attached which gives safety information including buoyancy performance.

I have an older 4.8 Stacer bowrider; while i have not yet ventured too far out it handles OK and has 75hp so has good power. If going outside reduce the number of people, ours is rated for 5 but would not carry that outside. NSW Maritime indicate "A reduction in the maximum number must be made in adverse weather conditions or when on open waters. If not, the master may be guilty of negligent navigation. This was stressed at a recent licence course the young bloke went to.

Maritime has useful info on their site re plate/capacity/flotation etc http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/rego.html#capacity

I would go bigger than 4.8 if you can. Personally I would love the extra room, capacity and comfort but extra cost, harder to handle with one etc.

Good luck

At the moment I am hooked on the flexibility, versatility and quality of many of the alloy manufacturers Bowriders.

My last boat was a 5.4 bow rider.

I can guarantee you the supposed flexibility and versatility go out the window as soon as the Mrs and her friends get over banging through slop and cruiser wake sitting in the pointy end of the boat, the stern of the boat is always a better ride. :)

I set mine up really well for fishing but it always shit me that I was limited to me and two guys in the cockpit because the front third of the boat was "The ladies lounge" and hard to fish out of. Great for a snooze on a sunny day but dead space.

We used to take it outside regularly but again it was a compromise, you need to know the boat, its capabilities and the weather forecast. A half decent wave over the bow and you can be in trouble very quickly.

All boats are compromises as we all know, my advice to you is have a think about where you want to be in a years time with your boat and your family boating. Twenty three large is a lot of money to commit to a package that may not suit your needs down the track.

Robbie.

i have a 530 f/sport with 115hp yammie and take it offshore regularly (of course weather dependant).

for me having 2 kids, the bowrider works well but when going offshore, i only got 3up at the most and also always leave the front end covered thus reducing the amount of water that comes in thru the bow. I have taken the boat to the shelf a few times off batemans bay and bermi.

hope this helps.

cheers

tom

Hi guys thanks for all the great feedback and Tom, mate your comments are music to my ears, I was paranoid about being outside and having waves crash into the bow and down ya go, but with the cover on do you really cop that much?

Hey mate,

As everyone has already stated, have a good think about what your going to use it for, I personally wouldn't be over the moon heading out to the shelf in a bowrider, even with a cover on the front, remember water is bloody heavy and its not like someone is going to gently place it on the front of your boat, if its going to get as far as that chances are it'll be with a bit of a thump, sure it'll keep the spray out which is what they're designed for, but not an incoming wave. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic social boats and heaps of fun, my mate has one which we take out when we're not fishing, but do you really want to get hooks in your cushions and fish blood on your carpet??? I say the bigger you can get the better, go for a well appointed half cab, more useable room, cover from the elements and still great social aspects. I'd sell you mine but i can't afford my Flybridge yet....lol

P.S.

Your on a winner either way because your getting a boat.

Cheers, Tobe

I think the biggest question is going to be the tow vehicle, with only that amount of towing capacity it will become a definite factor in what boat u get. if it was not a problem id have a look at a few glass boats eg signatures as they will outride any of those ally's especially on rougher days.

Hi Mate

The three boats you have mentioned are all good performers IMO. Going outside in a Bowrider is as safe as a centre console and with a bow cover more so and plenty fish offshore with CC. Yes if outside is all you did i would go cuddy as well, but it isnt, try fishing branch ridden estuaries in a cuddy it can be a pain. Only you can decide what is best for you.

For mine i would look at the Stacer 525, not as flash as the Quintrex FS but i think better in other ways, they also dont hold there value as well, so should be well in your range.

I am finding with the Quintrex bow design as my three children are growing that boyancy in the front can be an issue when totting around in a swell/chop, no probs on the plane, and great ride and steering. But overall I rate the FS as a great vessel and it has given us a couple of years of fun.

For what its worth our sponser Huey had a clean 525 with V4 90 Johhno some time ago, dont know if he still has it

Hi, a boat like you listed will be fine in limited offshore work and common sense will restricit how far you can go, but the Stacer, Quintrex and Savage are all seaworthy boats and I personally like the bowrider style, because by removing the front cushions and fitting a floor boar it becomes a good casting deck. Also a very family freindly boat for days on the Harbour or Hawkesbury and unless you were going to go serious offshore it will be ideal for your boating needs.

At present I have two Stacer 525 Easyriders in stock secondh hand, both clean, late model with low hours and powered by the V4 90HP Johnos which give you the most powerful 90HP. Both are within your budget and this size boat would be as big as you could go and still be legal with your Camry.

PM me if you would like details,

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi All,

Guys thanks for some great feedback, comments taken on board, obviously I don't intend on going outside all the time. Just every now and then when the weather is good for it, the rest of the time I'd be stalking the hawkesbury, georges and harbour. I'd love a decent cuddy to go outside but realistically I'll be on the rivers alot too but just want something that is capable of heading outside when weather permits. Huey thanks for the comments and I will be pm'ing you! Thanks all!!!

Hi Guys,

Just reading some stuff on Browns Mountain and as much fun as it sounds to go out there and chase the big stuff I don't think what I'm looking for will be suitable, but how far out in the right conditions would you take something like a Stacer 525 Easy Rider/Quintrex Freedom Sport 530?

I tink you will find what you are looking for if you are patient. My Wife found a Stacer 565 2003 model with 120hrs on it. We had our Dad's check it out and they said even if we buy it for the price the seller is selling it for its a great buy.

Our boat is a Bowrider but I have kitted it out with a removeable live bait tank which works brilliantly. Changed out all of the plastic rod holders for Attwood S.S. one's. Made a big difference.

I think the best thing about our boat is the versatility. I dive off it, fish, inshore and offshore. Very stable. Water ski as well, the 135hp Evinrude pulls me clean out of the water even with 5 people on board.

Great boat,

Keep looking.

As I said I know things like Browns is out of the question but what about ducking just out the heads etc?

Should be fine dude, just keep your eye on the weather and check the reports before you go, anywhere from Bluefish point to Maroubra will be easily do-able, just remember you get rebound pulses from the cliffs where your close in, stay safe, stay smart and you'll have a blast. Goodluck with your descision.

Cheers, Tobe