Sydney 07.03.09

marcel haber

Headed out this moring from tunks and went to the spit and managed to catch some yellowtail.

Then headed into middle harbour and fished the tide change around 6.09 am.

Caught three filthy eels and was not happy, from here headed to middle head and dropped the livies for no takers, tried around north head for zilch too.

Ended up at seaforth and burleyed and still could not manage a fish..........just cant manage to land a fish at the moment, cannot remember the last time we managed to catch a king fish or anything half decent for the table.

Left the water around 11am got fed up of the no action and headed back home, the car park was chockers with trailors,I COUNTED AT LEAST 50 TRAILORS waiting for there boats to come in.

Just seem to be wasting time and money for no result. :thumbdown:

Did any one else do any good today out there?

What am I missing here guys? any pointers ..........alot of help and good advice appreciated.

Twin 1 AND Lumpookey

mate i know what you mean...we went from meadowbank to 12 mile reef and then back to meadowbank and then to balmoral for yakkas and then back outside to try for kings on evening high tide....only to find leather jackets.....not happy! went drifting for flathead and got a couple of keepers.... sad story but tested new motor and all is good..... thats fishing for you

Yeah same story here, launched at Melrose Park and motored out to harbour. Very slow day, mate caught a 38ish cm flattie on a bait jig :wacko: and all i could manage was the worlds smallest snapper lol.

Harbour was insanley busy with yachts, must have been some regata or somthing on. Plus was it me or was the harbour very choppy today?

Well i enjoyed the day on the water even if there was no fish caught.

Yeah same story here, launched at Melrose Park and motored out to harbour. Very slow day, mate caught a 38ish cm flattie on a bait jig :wacko: and all i could manage was the worlds smallest snapper lol.

Harbour was insanley busy with yachts, must have been some regata or somthing on. Plus was it me or was the harbour very choppy today?

Well i enjoyed the day on the water even if there was no fish caught.

yep shi# load of yachts and choppy inshore and offshore....dont know what it was but there were even small skiffs racing off south head..... a good day to be out anyway.. :bump0ee: and :beersmile:

yep shi# load of yachts and choppy inshore and offshore....dont know what it was but there were even small skiffs racing off south head..... a good day to be out anyway.. :bump0ee: and :beersmile:

Yeh was a nice day, would have prefered it a bit more quiet for the first time takin the boat out but it was a good learning experience. Man some of those yacht skippers are nutcases there would of had to be 5 near misses that i saw and by near misses there was a bees "appendage" in it lol..

Caught three filthy eels and was not happy, from here headed to middle head and dropped the livies for no takers, tried around north head for zilch too.

.........cannot remember the last time we managed to catch a king fish or anything half decent for the table.

.........What am I missing here guys? any pointers ..........alot of help and good advice appreciated.

Twin 1 AND Lumpookey

:Funny-Post::074: Sorry Marcel and Ray :thumbup: Don't worry, hypnosis is the last resort to get you catching fish but maybe vitamin B would work for the above mentioned memory loss :lol:

Anyway, take a peak at barometer pressure every now and then to get the hang of it....... look out for the following :- ongoing steady days = poor fishing when you have to work hard to dig them out! , fluctuations =good to best, and finally ongoing low fronts = poor fishing becoming worse as the pressure drops further........

Fishing is normally best during rising barometric pressure and for the first hour or two of falling pressure. Sudden changes in pressure usually see fish in feeding mode.

Fishing is generally always poor during low or constant barometric pressure.

The info below is about it in a nutshell :-

Steady rise continuing = best

Rapid rate of rise or rapid rate of fall = good until pressure steadies and bite starts to slow.

Ongoing steady pressure = poor

Falling pressure continuing = good at first and then changing to poor

In planning yor sessions, why not be guided by the barometer and then see if you do any better......Try and coincide your sessions with wind changes, particularly winds forecast to change to opposite directions and then look at tides........

Move upriver to get the same stillwater periods due to the tide delay, and when you arrive at a good performing spot, fish the early changes in either tide direction, and move again when the bite slows but stay on the same side where you got the results.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Steady rise continuing = best

Rapid rate of rise or rapid rate of fall = good until pressure steadies and bite starts to slow.

Ongoing steady pressure = poor

Falling pressure continuing = good at first and then changing to poor

Thanks Byron for putting the Barometric pressure question into such fine perspective !!

Ross

G'day Jewgaffer,

is there a scientific explanation behind the connection between barometric changes and fish feeding? Or is it more an association? I'm keen to find out if you base your info on speaking to lots of other fishos and your own experiences or is it from other sources scientific or other in nature?

I've heard the swim bladder theory, where the higher the barometric pressure = external pressure on the fish's bladder (presuming that the barometric pressure has enough of an effect to transfer into the water and to thus to the fish) and thus more room for the stomach to expand in the abdominal cavity triggering a feeding response by telling the fish it needs to be filled!

I'd be keen to find out if there are actual explanations for these associations that people talk about with barometrics or are they gained from the combined experiences of thousands of fishos over many hundreds of years!

Cheers.

G'day Jewgaffer,

is there a scientific explanation behind the connection between barometric changes and fish feeding? Or is it more an association? I'm keen to find out if you base your info on speaking to lots of other fishos and your own experiences or is it from other sources scientific or other in nature?

......I've heard the swim bladder theory, where the higher the barometric pressure = external pressure on the fish's bladder (presuming that the barometric pressure has enough of an effect to transfer into the water and to thus to the fish) and thus more room for the stomach to expand in the abdominal cavity triggering a feeding response by telling the fish it needs to be filled!

........I'd be keen to find out if there are actual explanations for these associations that people talk about with barometrics or are they gained from the combined experiences of thousands of fishos over many hundreds of years!

Cheers.

Hi Klainz, Marcel and Ray

I decided to address these questions in a new topic so that other members will be able to give their advice and opinions as well.

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

• 2 weeks later...

hey im interested in monitoring the effects of the pressure on my days fishing. Is there a website that give you the details on what the previous days pressure reading was. There are plenty of sites that give forecasts, but none that i can find that show what the measured pressure was.

hey im interested in monitoring the effects of the pressure on my days fishing. Is there a website that give you the details on what the previous days pressure reading was. There are plenty of sites that give forecasts, but none that i can find that show what the measured pressure was.

Hi Tumra we were discussing Marcel's bad result on the Harbour when the barometric pressure situation on the day was bought up by myself, and was incidental to it........

I'm glad you are interested in taking into account what the barometric situation was doing on your own fishing days for future reference, which after a while becomes 70- 30 accurate in you repeating the dose and is far better than doing nothing..... I have sent you a link to the up to the minute 24/7 weather station I check my barometer off ....my record checks, to refer back to my previous results, come in the body of the emails the weather scientist sends me for free every day of the week at 9am sharp.

You cannot accurately predict the rise and fall of barometric pressure , tho some o/seas weather sites do and adjust the preditions to suit along the way and so forth..... the approaching low fronts highs and troughs let you know that a change is coming and you should try your best to be there fishimg as your barometer starts to move :1yikes::thumbup:

Cheers

Check your pms mate