Need Help On This Boat...

high_speed_metal

I know NOTHING about boats.. I have been offered this boat by my boss for $1500... Do you think thats a good price? He says everything works fine and its got rego..

post-9132-1236703316_thumb.jpg

post-9132-1236703351_thumb.jpg

post-9132-1236703398_thumb.jpg

If anyone knows Juno, would I be able to take a small boat like this there?

Any help is good..

Cheers

Shannon.

Looking at the clasifieds the price appears OK provided the motor is in good condition. A compression test is always a good indicatior , also how easy it starts.

The freeboard (sides) are low so would not be too keen to take it into rough water. Juno should be OK.

The photo's do not show the interior. I suspect the layout , seats etc, are more for cruising rather than fishing so this needs to be kept in mind.

If going to have a look it would be handy if a mate who has a fishing boat went along to provide comments from a fishing prospective

Geoff

You are in a lucky position as since it is your boss he won't mind you getting it checked out professionally if it suits your boating needs and he should be able to tell you the history on motor and when it and the trailer have been maintained.

Arrange for motor to be checked out and someone who knows boats to attend a on water test.

Regardles of price you don't want a boat if you don't know it's problems as it will only create bad blood with a boss in the longer term is not a good idea . Buyers regret if you know what I mean..

If you are serious about it and if it suits what you want agree a price with the boss conditional on it being checked out and serviced by Huey or a dealer you trust . Worst case for your boss is that he gets his boat serviced and a guilt free sale or not and you know exactly what you are getting into. If problems are found you can negotiate a price variation or walk away haveing spent a few $ but saved yourself a lot of hassle. It is a few hours of checking it out properly will make a huge difference to how much you enjoy it.

When having it looked at ensure a close look at the deck, transom motor and trailer are all servicable.

Hope it is stored covered up and hope you have a place to store it and means of towing it.

Don't forget your running running costs like rego, insurance and maintainance that you pay even if you don't use it. Also add up the things you will want like a sounder and so on so you know what your total cost will be.

Sorry if I am really positive but I just want to make sure you don't get a lemon as they can drain your cash and energy real fast. Don't rush in but also don't let a bargain go past if it is suitable and a good one.

Pel

PS I like that style of small boat for the rivers but just be careful about how she sits when you move from one side to the other and how much freeboard it has especially around the transom. You'll have a lot of fun in that if it is a good one.

Hi high speed metal I like the circumstances all the way around and particularly the boss to worker relationship in this case... Do a bit of checking as Pel says and if there a few repairs are needed to be done your boss will more than likely come to the party...... Anyone thinking to sell a boat for $1500 would think to himself at least I'll get a grand!

A real good thing about this little runabout is that it's a Carribean and has the famous Carribean roll over at the bow. I'll bet it handles lke a dream and like all Carribeans it is very stable at rest.

I like it mate, a small boat but a good style of boat and no problem at Juno / Lion Island etc., and all you have to do is set it up so that you are making the most of the space in the fishing area.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks for your help... I'm leaning towards not buying it. It is cheap but I can see it needing attention and draining the wallet, the motor is old...

I'm thinking I will save more and buy something else that's not glass. but as I said I don't know to much about the topic.

Jewgaffer you saying it would be fine around Juno / Lion Island makes me want to buy it, But I think I would have to get a new motor for it and I know they are not cheap!!!!

Arrghhh I wish I could make up my mind...

Hi high speed metal take a look at this Eagle Ray of mine for the type of fishing you do and the whole boat is a casting platform as stable as a jetty :thumbup: ... this was meant to be my retirement boat before I struck the Savage in Qld in 2007... I'm about to put it on the market as I kept on changing my mind... It's a shallow area surf rescue boat as well, floatation packed and unsinkable..... it's still the current model by special order and the little brother of and identical to swim pods and all to its 17 foot big brother the Qld Govt's Eagle Ray deep sea rescue boats.

I don't have a any current photos, this is how it stood in Bundaberg where I bought it before I changed it over to NSW registration.....

Give me a ring if you're interested on 0413210048, It's a licenced and true 4 seater with two live bait tanks, two big blokes can stand on the side gunnel and it tilts nowhere......I'll even give you a warranty on the nice running electric start Johnson that's on it now and I'm not desperate just fair minded and big hearted :thumbup:

post-829-1236770523_thumb.jpg

post-829-1236770588_thumb.jpg

post-829-1236770648_thumb.jpg

post-829-1236771278_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi high speed metal take a look at this Eagle Ray of mine for the type of fishing you do and the whole boat is a casting platform as stable as a jetty :thumbup: ... this was meant to be my retirement boat before I struck the Savage in Qld in 2007... I'm about to put it on the market as I kept on changing my mind... It's a shallow area surf rescue boat as well, floatation packed and unsinkable..... it's still the current model by special order and the little brother of and identical to swim pods and all to its 17 foot big brother the Qld Govt's Eagle Ray deep sea rescue boats.

I don't have a any current photos, this is how it stood in Bundaberg where I bought it before I changed it over to NSW registration.....

Give me a ring if you're interested on 0413210048, It's a licenced and true 4 seater with two live bait tanks, two big blokes can stand on the side gunnel and it tilts nowhere......I'll even give you a warranty on the nice running electric start Johnson that's on it now and I'm not desperate just fair minded and big hearted :thumbup:

post-829-1236770523_thumb.jpg

post-829-1236770588_thumb.jpg

post-829-1236770648_thumb.jpg

post-829-1236771278_thumb.jpg

Cheers

That's one strange looking craft mate, And just by looking at it I can see it would make it through a WWII mine field!!! Not sure if its what i am after tho... One thing I really want is front or Center steering console. Wouldn't mind giving you a call about Juno some time tho :)