Anchoring

Norto

G'Day fellow raiders,

With the risk of sounding totally useless here.....I am wondering if someone can give me some tips on anchoring.I only have a small boat about 4M runabout and up until now I have only ever fished drifting but the more I get used to my sounder the more I would like to anchor up but do not have clue how to do it successfully.I am looking at purchasing a sand anchor so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Norto.

Edited by Norto

G'Day fellow raiders,

With the risk of sounding totally useless here.....I am wondering if someone can give me some tips on anchoring.I only have a small boat about 4M runabout and up until now I have only ever fished drifting but the more I get used to my sounder the more I would like to anchor up but do not have clue how to do it successfully.I am looking at purchasing a sand anchor so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Norto.

You will need an anchor that weighs around 6kgs. You should have a chain at least half the size of your boat and at least 30 metres of rope depending how deep the water you will be anchoring in.. In your case you should have a minimum 2 metres of chain. See your local boating store for the correct one.

Its always best to anchor from the bow. Ensure you place your boat in the correct postion when anchoring. If the tide is running out, then the bow should be facing the opposite side of the runout tide and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

A sand anchor should only be used on sand , If used on reef there is a good chance of it locking into the rocks & unable to be retreived.

For reef , use a 4 prong reef anchor , for your boat one with 1/4" prongs should do the job

When anchoring the rule of thumb is release enough rope equal to 3 times the depth , ie , if 10 mt deep then release 30 mt

Some may suggest the use of chain for a few meters between the rope & anchor. On big boats anchoring in very deep water it is helpfull as the chain act as a shock absorber. For your boat it is unlikely chain is necessary

Wind & current can be deceiving so when you locate a suitable spot do a drift to see which way the boat drifts retrace the direction overshoot the spot , drop the anchor & in theory you should drift back to the spot .

When retreiving try to avoid pulling the anchor over the side as if the anchor gets stuck & needs some effort to break it free it can drag the side under. Retreive over the bow spit

Some practice & experience & it becomes rather easy

Geoff

hey norto

do not buy one of those new wizz bang anchors that state they do not need chain and come pre packed with rope they are rubbish

always use chain it makes life so much easier there's nothing worse than coming unstuck and drifting over your lines all the time

with out the chain every time you get hit by a wave the bow lifts and pulls the anchor out of the sand putting you on the move

adzzy

If you use chain the anchor gets pulled into the into reef or sand or mud by the weight of the chain. The chain will lay on the bottom and make a big difference. In fast currents or places were a swell will push you up your anchor rope and the tide then pull back it is very important.

The more chain the better but the heavier it is to lift.

If anchoring in deep water invest in a Anchor Yanker. It is device that clips onto your rope with a large float on it. You drive the boat up and around you anchor rope an the anchor gets pulled up by the motor not you.

Just drive up current of where you want to fish. Drop your anchor over and hold the rope. Apply some pressure to the rope so the chain does not catch in the anchor on the way down. When it hits the bottom let some rope out and then hold the rope to feel if the anchor is sliding on the bottom or holding fast. If holding tie off the rope over the fishing spot and go for it. If not repeat the process.

Make sure your shackles that join anchor to chain are tight. Use a pair of pliers or some other method to do this. Do not be fooled the screw will come undone and the anchor lost.

Cheers and good fishing.

Not to scare you but just a few things to think about.

Until you are very confident with your boat and location only ever tie the anchor rope off the bow so the boat is pointing head on into the current and chop/wind/waves. If you tie it of the side or especially the back corner it is very easy to to take a wave or boat wake over the back and once the corner gets bogged down the water pressure can drag your boat under very quickly like how a diving lure works and you often only need one wave in a small boat.

On a similar note, dont anchor in channels and thoroughfares and be very careful on the edge of shipping channels such as the one that goes past molineaux point in Botany Bay. When the tender and tug boats go past they tend to put out a pretty nasty wake and it stands up and sometimes breaks when it hits the end of the channel.

I always use chain. it helps pull the anchor flat across the floor so the pulling angle is lower and it holds better. And it's good to lower your anchor in and not throw it so that you know it's not tangled in the chain.

Good Luck