Egg Beater Vs Baitcaster & Mono Vs Braid

Mattofoz

G'day guys,

I've been flicking plastics for a little while now, using a small Diawa eggbeater with 8lb mono.

I want to switch to baitcaster and maybe braid, is braid on a baitcaster a better weapon than my current setup?

Thanks, Matt.

P.S the search function is crap, needs repair.

We're going to need more information Matt

- What rod (length/rating) are you using?

- What size plastics are you throwing?

- What is the target species?

- Have you tried using braid on your eggbeater?

- What is your issue with the search function? Type 'baitcaster' into the search and it will provide two pages of info, including 4 posts comparing baitcasters to eggbeaters

Regards

Hodgey

We're going to need more information Matt

- What rod (length/rating) are you using?

- What size plastics are you throwing?

- What is the target species?

- Have you tried using braid on your eggbeater?

- What is your issue with the search function? Type 'baitcaster' into the search and it will provide two pages of info, including 4 posts comparing baitcasters to eggbeaters

Regards

Hodgey

Hello,

I'm using a 2-4kg, one piece berkley drop shot, I think it's 6ft 6 (not sure as it's at home)

I've mainly been using the 2in sandworms due to the success with bream, also 3in something in pumkin seed from a tip at local tackle store for the flathead.

Target bream and flathead along the estuary banks of Hawkesbury and Cowan creek.

Never used braid.

Would I benifit from using braid on an egg beater over a baitcaster?

Thanks. Matt

Hello,

I'm using a 2-4kg, one piece berkley drop shot, I think it's 6ft 6 (not sure as it's at home)

I've mainly been using the 2in sandworms due to the success with bream, also 3in something in pumkin seed from a tip at local tackle store for the flathead.

Target bream and flathead along the estuary banks of Hawkesbury and Cowan creek.

Never used braid.

Would I benifit from using braid on an egg beater over a baitcaster?

Thanks. Matt

BTW the search always yeilds no results for me. I tried it again and it brought up this post now that it's has started. I guess I expected more results...

G'Day Matt

Your outfit itself is fine, but trying to throw lightweights lures on 8lb mono is tough. Spool your reel with 4-6lb braid and you will notice a huge improvement in castability, sink rate and sensitivity.You will have greater difficulty trying to cast 2inch grubs with a baitcaster.

To use the search function:

type your subject in 'keyword' section

change 'search posts from....' by clicking the dropdown bar and clicking on 'any date' (this is where you are going wrong I reckon)

change 'search where' to 'titles only' - or you will get every post that features your subject word in it :1yikes:

Regards

Hodgey

G'Day Matt

Your outfit itself is fine, but trying to throw lightweights lures on 8lb mono is tough. Spool your reel with 4-6lb braid and you will notice a huge improvement in castability, sink rate and sensitivity.You will have greater difficulty trying to cast 2inch grubs with a baitcaster.

To use the search function:

type your subject in 'keyword' section

change 'search posts from....' by clicking the dropdown bar and clicking on 'any date' (this is where you are going wrong I reckon)

change 'search where' to 'titles only' - or you will get every post that features your subject word in it :1yikes:

Regards

Hodgey

Thanks Hodgey. Great help. I will try the 6lb braid tomorrow. Mtt

I use braid on my eggbeaters and find it great to cast really light lures...After using bait casters for a number of years with heavier lures it did take me a little time to get my accuracy up to speed...I believe some of the newer low profile bait casters throw light lures ok but I have never tried them to say for sure...

Cheers...Sparra

I agree with Hodgey's advice... For small/ light plastics, nothing beats an eggbeater spooled with braid in the 4-6lb range. You'll love it once you change. It is different though, and as Hodgey recommends, learn a couple of braid to mono knots. Double uni is an easy one to start with. Other topics to search are how to spool and "back" your braid properly and how to avoid wind knots. Any good tackle store like site sponsor Go Fish will point you in the right direction if you need someone to demo to you in person.

Good luck! You won't look back... :thumbup:

If you have never used braid before, then you will need to learn how to attach mono/fluro line to it. Useful information regarding this can be found by clicking the link below:

Leader Knots

Good luck mate!

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks for that info Hodgey! Great help indeed.

May I ask a stupid question?

For a mono 6lb line, wont that snap easily if you hook on a legal sized bream or flathead? (Sorry, Im a real amateur at fishing.. )

Thanks for that info Hodgey! Great help indeed.

May I ask a stupid question?

For a mono 6lb line, wont that snap easily if you hook on a legal sized bream or flathead? (Sorry, Im a real amateur at fishing.. )

Hi mate. The 4-6lb line is braid, which generally breaks at a lot higher strain than it is rated. Most importantly though, it is not the line that goes into the fish's mouth. I use 10-12 flurocarbon line attached to the braid utilising one of the knots discussed earlier. One vital way to avoid that sort of mishap is to ensure your drag setting is correct. The tighter the drag, the greater the abrasive effect of the flathead's mouth on the leader.

Hope that helps you out?

Cheers

Hodgey