Good Dolly!

Terry

Nic and I headed out from the Spit at 6am on Saturday straight to a FAD to chase Dolphin Fish. We were the first ones there and as we trolled past 3 Rapala's went off and we boated all 3 fish, not big but good fun on light gear. We then proceeded to cast raiders and landed another couple. By then a hoard of other boats had turned up and the Dolly's didn't want to play. We baited up and floated pilchard back down a berley trail to land another couple of good fish. You needed to be on/or about the FAD as that was were they were hanging.

Having had enough of that decided to troll out to about the 20km mark looking for Mr. Stick Face along the current lines. He was being elusive but just as we poured a coffee and sat down for some breaky the rear right lure goes off with a good Dolly jumping out of the water. He took a lot of line and was very unhappy at the prospect of getting in the boat, we had him at the side twice on the leader only for him to make strong runs away. Finally subdued him and got him on board. A great fish and a very good day, was a pleasure to get out there for once in calmer conditions. All up 8 fish, 7 average and one very good!!

Terry.

post-127-1110756092_thumb.jpg

post-127-1110756112_thumb.jpg

terry

whoo hoo what a nice hen dollie you dont see to many girls that big

what did she weigh ?

your boat ?

BTW Sunday was the day to be out apparently the radio chatter was full of bills from the 20 mile. I was out at 10 mile and there was a bit of bait but no luck apart from some fad dollies. had to pull the pin early to make the social

Edited by allen glover

Hi Allen,

They always look heavier than what there are!! We thought she would go 20-22kg but she was around 17-18kg, Dodgy bathroom scales....

Not on my boat but on Nic's Hydra Sport, it's a nice thing to fish from but for the money it would want to be!

Been eating Dolphin since Saturday. Brought some into the office for the gang here and we are gonig to have it for lunch, it's a hard life......

Cheers, Terry. :1fishing1:

Hi Allen,

They always look heavier than what there are!!  We thought she would go 20-22kg but she was around 17-18kg, Dodgy bathroom scales....

:1fishing1:

36150[/snapback]

Very nice. bout he biggest hen Ive seen or heard of.

The down side of dollie fishing you can get damned sick of it after a while :biggrin2:

it does make great fishcakes and curries

Guest Jocool

Been eating Dolphin since Saturday. ......... it's a hard life......

Cheers, Terry.  :1fishing1:

36150[/snapback]

Yeah ...some people do it tough! :risata:

Showing my lack of knowledge now.....How do you tell a female from a male dolly anyway?

Guest MarkD

Showing my lack of knowledge now.....How do you tell a female from a male dolly anyway?

36283[/snapback]

Think the female has a rounder head, male has more defined bump...great fish btw :thumbup:

Guest bluecod

That's a lotta Bull there Allen - sorry - nice fish!

Ok now everyone's been telling me that dollies taste good - fried, curried or BBQ'd.

From what I've been cooking up lately they only rate as fair [give me a kilo bream anyday!]

Anyone got any good dollie recipes? for that matter Cobia recipes would be good too.

Guest bluecod
skined and pan fried fillets in peaches and coconut sauce

made just as it sounds but tastes twice as good.

36320[/snapback]

Novel approach - wouldn't anything taste good with a demi glaze of peaches and coconut.

Thanks AG I'll give it a run - I take it the peaches [without juice] and coconut are added near the end of the fry?

From all my fishing in Hawaii, Fiji, Vanuatu, Samoa, Nth Qld, and down here in NSW....gees they are some of the best Mahi Mahi I have ever seen.....great captures guys

When bled and iced...they make great sashimi, are brilliant smoked, and are not bad in a curry

Thanks AG I'll give it a run - I take it the peaches [without juice] and coconut are added near the end of the fry?

36324[/snapback]

Nah its a mans recipe so it has to be easy. large tin or two of coconut cream or milk and a can of diced peaches( with or without liquid depends on your sweet tooth ) let it all reduce down to nearly a sauce then toss in the fillets to cook for the final few minutes. . I spose its not a pan fry more a sautee. Its just that I use a frying pan to do it thus the name :1prop: The hard part is making sure you have enough sauce to smother and cook the fish properly without having to mess about turning it too many times.

can = "soup can" size. not pissy little "girly can" size

Edited by allen glover

:biggrin2:

Nah its a mans recipe so it has to be easy.  large tin or two of coconut cream or milk and a can of diced peaches( with or without liquid depends on your sweet tooth ) let it all reduce down to  nearly a sauce then toss in the fillets to cook for the final  few minutes. . I spose its not a pan fry more a sautee. Its just that I use a frying pan to do it thus the name :1prop:  The hard part is making sure you have enough sauce to smother and cook the fish properly without having to mess about turning it too many times.

can = "soup can" size. not pissy little "girly can" size

36326[/snapback]

Allen mate, that's a lot of frigging around, bundy & butter sauce (lots of bundy, little to no butter), makes anything palatable and after a while you forget what you were eating anyway :biggrin2:

Cheers, Terry

Congratulations on the big dolly mate !

Tell me, when you cleaned it, did it have anything in its guts?? the fish looks like it was in desperate need of a feed.

In good condition that fish would have had a couple of extra kilo's of weight on it.

Chris

Congratulations on the big dolly mate !

Tell me, when you cleaned it, did it have anything in its guts?? the fish looks like it was in desperate need of a feed.

In good condition that fish would have had a couple of extra kilo's of weight on it.

Chris

36339[/snapback]

Hi Chris,

You are right, it didn't. I wouldn't call it lean, rather, in excellent shape!

From reading the responses I feel that I do need to make one thing clear , Nic was the angler, :1fishing1: he is the one holding it in the picture, :thumbup: you can tell us apart as I am much better looking, :biggrin2::biggrin2: I did all the hard stuff, pointing & shouting, swearing & cussing and generally getting in the way, oh and I was on the gaff :hitsfan:

Cheers, Terry