Getting A Second Hand Boat Whats The Process?

A.dawg

Dad thinks its time to get a boat but we dont know enough about getting a second hand one.

its ready to use off someone else and it comes with registration does that mean we can use it immediatley or is there some process like getting a second hand car changing the name and evrything before we can actually use the boat??

this is the most important questions in our mind at the moment maybe more questions to come.

Thanks raiders :biggrin2:

A.dawg~~~

Registration should be changed within 21 days of purchase. Its similar to changing car rego , just call in to any Maritime ofice with your Bill Of Sale , and provide the new details. Make sure the words " PAID IN FULL" or similar are printed clearly on the receipt , apparently it can cause dramas if it is not .

Ross

You'll also have to change the trailer rego,and make sure the Bill of Sale is unaltered and complete-they made me go back and get a second one last time over some ridiculous issue which I can't remember now-the exercise of commonsense discretion is unknown at the RTA.

Cheers,

Dave.

Gday Mate.

Here is the link to te Waterways site that sets out what you have to do to change the rego on the boat and what documents you need.

http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/sbh/rego.html

Cheers

Balmain Bob

Note , about half way down the need to have a HIN No. (Boatcode) If the boat is not already coded then it is the sellers responsibility to provide this document along with the boat & trailer rego documents

Geoff

Gday Mate,

Also dont forget to do a REVS check on the boat and trailer just to be sure that you are buying a boat oand trailer free of debt and not stolen.

cheers

Bob

Not that it applies in this case, but if the boat was unregistered or an interstate rego you want to register in NSW, you cannot do a REVS check, even if you have the HIN. When I bought my hull the other week in a private sale, I tried to do a REVS check but was told I couldn't as the hull was new and had never been registered. The helpful person from REVS told me that if I purchased the boat, I could do a REVS check after I had registered it.

WTF????

Cheers

Rob

B)-->

QUOTE(Dave B @ Mar 16 2009, 07:05 AM) 294341[/snapback]

You'll also have to change the trailer rego,and make sure the Bill of Sale is unaltered and complete-they made me go back and get a second one last time over some ridiculous issue which I can't remember now-the exercise of commonsense discretion is unknown at the RTA.

Cheers,

Dave.

When you buy a secondhand boat and trailer, you have to assign a value for the trailer for the purposes of stamp duty when you transfer the registration on the trailer. So if you buy a boat and trailer for say, $5000 and the trailer is only worth $200, you will pay a lot less stamp duty than if the trailer is valued at $2000. Best to get the seller to endorse the receipt he gives you with a "fair" value for the trailer, if you follow my drift. The stamp duty on the boat transfer is a lot less than the equivalent stamp duty on a motor vehicle - and the trailer is considered a motor vehicle.

Cheers

Rob