Fuel Tank Size

gazza

hi fishraiders...can anyone out there tell me the size of a fuel tank in a 1982 83 bertram 25..i was assuming they were a standard tank of 500lt..i just repowered the boat & put in a sender unit whitch gives me fuel in % & i have to calibrate the gauge...i done a measure on the tank lengh bredth ect & came up with 380lt...can anyone help here...rgds gazza

Hi Gary

We have always calibrated out guages on water or on land with the plimsol line level. We empty the tank into gerry cans and then refill and using the magic stick ( 4 foot of dowel) we hacksaw a mark every 20 litres and mark the % guage on the dash with a litres number. Emptying the tank shows us just how low the tank draw point is as often there is 20-40l of unusable capacity. Tedious process but the only one that gets us close as especially at the bottom of tanks the angle of the boat can start to give very inacurate readings and that is if your sender unit actualy registeres complete range from top to bottom of tank.. The stick is always our backup if you have a straight filler you can dip into and a quick smell of the stick can give you a hint if fuel is going stale.

I have seen Berties with a few different tank set ups so a bit hard to comment

Another thing to watch with tanks is that depending where fillers and outlets are placed on the tank the useable capacity can be affected as if properly designed their should be a airspace at the top and so on so a outside measurement an be off by a fair bit.

Many tanks were stainless or Aluminium but were encased in fibreglass to help with condensation so the tank if it has been wrapped may be a little smaller again.

Edited by pelican

hi fishraiders...can anyone out there tell me the size of a fuel tank in a 1982 83 bertram 25..i was assuming they were a standard tank of 500lt..i just repowered the boat & put in a sender unit whitch gives me fuel in % & i have to calibrate the gauge...i done a measure on the tank lengh bredth ect & came up with 380lt...can anyone help here...rgds gazza

Gary, the fuel tank size in a 25 is 450 ltrs. Ive owned 2 25's and know the boat inside out. If you have any more questions dont hesitate to contact me.

Cheers

Dave

There are several different versions from twin 180l and so on. What motors did your originally have and does it only have one tank ? Is it petrol , duals or single duoprop, diesels or outboards. There are several boats that people call Bert 25 in different configurations and some bastardised ones as well.

Edited by pelican