Putting The Theory Into Practice

wttmrwolf

I've been inspired to write a little post dedicated to Jewgaffer and his amazing contributions he makes to this forum. I hope your hand op was a success gaffer, wishing you a speedy recovery.

I'm glad to say the secrets of the Hacking are starting to reveal themselves. I've been catching bream and whiting consistently after extensive study into the theory behind catching these critters. The biggest change has just been the confidence to stick at it.

I now almost exclusively fish at night. One thing have found works is fishing up on the flats after making a mess when the tide is down (credit - Jewgaffer). I've been catching nippers and can bag a few whiting if I cast back onto the area where I pumped. The Barometric pressure also has a massive impact on my fish catching (full credit you you Jewgaffer with your barometric posts).

With all the recent storms around sydney I have been waiting for small breaks in the weather and I run down at all sorts of ungodly hours. Several nights I have been down at Lilly Pilly baths at 2am on the first calm night after 5 days of rain.

Thanks Jewgaffer for pointing me in the right direction. I'm well on my thanks to you.

A mate and I just booked a holiday place on the water in Broken Bay up near Brooklyn. We have been inspired to try and catch a Jewfish and if we spend a few nights on the water hopefully we can increase our chances.

Jewgaffer - I've just been reading all your amazing posts and I came across this little tip:

"Location Tip -

If you launch at Brooklyn and happen to be running late like I was a few times, or if it's too choppy to fish just wide of Juno near the Walker Point end to fish the whole of the run in tide, just warm up the motor and plough your boat just around the point near flatrock and fish off the red marker before the inlet to Long island and fish three hours each side of the top of the tide."

I've got some marine charts and it appears there are lots of red markers at the end of the island. Would you be so kind as to point me towards a good spot to fish for jew in the Hawkesbury. I've attached some charts to help. Your efforts to add information on jew fishing is only matched by the dedication some jew fisherman get when they pull off all night fishing trips.

Also feel free to tell me half the fun is finding the spots and to sod off :tease:

post-3761-1237636130_thumb.jpg

post-3761-1237636137_thumb.jpg

Hi WttMrWolf

Thanks for your kind and genuine concern about my hands and back situation in your pm and the reference you made to me in this topic about fishing in general with an empasis on a trip you are planning to fish the Hawkesbury for jewfish....... I appreciate your showing such interest in my particular fishing style and methods, which after all are only the result of deep thinking and plain logic and my own trial successes and error disappointents, just as much as they are as a result of experience on the water.....

I was well taught from a very young age and believe me I was cuffed over the ear if I didnt do exactly what I was told and there was no margin allowed for error then and there isn't now... There is only one way to do it things properly when you're dealing with jewfish and it's amazing how you want to help others in debating a point and be told later, yes there is definately only one way of doing it.... I made up my mind a long time ago that whem fishing for jewfish there is nothing much more that can be done, nothing less and nothing in between that should be done..... .I run into people in my travels who have finally settled into the same pattern which they themselves have been forced into by previous circumstances.... In using the word pattern - If you lead a donkey thru an adverse path to water, the donkey will eventually find its own way there and particularly if there is no other way....

If I ever get the chance to fish with you it will all come together for you too, as the saying goes good practice leads to perfection, and it's all about bait, the number of rods and the right time and the time spent on the water and logic.............

The first red marker is just upriver from Flatrock Point fishes very well each side of the top, as you can cast into twenty feet off the rock itself and the twenty feet drops into 45 feet which in turn drops into 70 feet about 150 metres out off flatrock which is a flat platform just around the left hand corner of the entrance to Brooklyn boat ramp and the red marker is not the marker just back from the the old the rail bridge cottages. The Brooklyn entrance to the island runs into a dead end at the wharf past the Marina on the water side of the parking area at the bottom of Brookyn. The drop off belt turns in towards the entrance but you should anchor just outside the belt which is a jew thoroughfare for baitfish coming in and out with the tide, but anchor clear of the bend where cruisers come in and out of the inlet.

I used to pull in at the Marina for a burger with extra onions and a banana milk shake before my best days at the mouth of Long Island if that helps :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

There are no secrets to the Hacking, you just have to fish it consistently to find the fish.

The only thing is THERE ARE NO JEWS IN THE HACKING.

Dave

Plenty of Jews in the Hacking Dave!! There have been heaps caught on plastics in the past few years.

Just gotta find them. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Jewgaffer and Pete,

Thanks for telling me where flatrock is located. I was looking at the wrong end of long island. I like your plan to stop off for a burger before those late night Jewfishing session ;)

The hawksbury is a big water system and it seems a bit daunting going up there for the first time to try and catch a Jew. I'm going to thank you for all this help by posting an entertaining fish report when we get back on the 29th March. 4 days on the water is bound to result in something eventful happening.

Here is a photo of flatrock (Assuming I got the right spot).

Thanks again.

PS there are plenty of Jew in the hacking. Met a guy on lilli pilly wharf that has caught 4 this year all off the wharf.

post-3761-1237767013_thumb.jpg

Edited by wttmrwolf

No mate That's not Flatrock Point... If your on foot, the flatrock itself is just up thru the open gate at the side of Brooklyn boat ramp in Parsley Bay...... You just plough you boat past the commercial wharf and before you even have time to warm up your motor, you'll see a large flat rock with a step down to another flat rock at the waters edge, just inside the corner where Parsely Bay meets the main river and there is a red marker towards the entrance to the dead end opening into the side of Long Island where the hamburger shop is in a little complex next to the Marina wharf where the petrol bowsers aren and that little area is a good bait ground in itself and is nearly always overlooked by fishermen coming in and out of the marina.......

Feel free to call me again Mr Wolf and we'll see if we can get a day and night plan together for your stay up there and I might be able to fish along with you by mobile before I have my back op...

Cheers

Hi Jewgaffer,

I've been following this post as well and I'm just wondering if flatrock point is where McKell Park is located as well?

I spent an afternoon with friends up high at Mckell park and walked down to the point, seems to be flatrocks right down on the waters edge. Around the southern corner is Parsley Bay where the boatramp is. Is that the flatrock you mean?

I'm a frustrated Jewie fisherman as well and need all the help that I can get.

Kind Regards

Alex

Hi Jewgaffer,

I've been following this post as well and I'm just wondering if flatrock point is where McKell Park is located as well?

I spent an afternoon with friends up high at Mckell park and walked down to the point, seems to be flatrocks right down on the waters edge. Around the southern corner is Parsley Bay where the boatramp is. Is that the flatrock you mean?

I'm a frustrated Jewie fisherman as well and need all the help that I can get.

Kind Regards

Alex

That's the one mate right at the side of the point at the upriver entrance to Parsley Bay, full stop......

If you were landbased you would simply walk thru the gate alongside the boat ramp bitumin and if you get there early and have a couple of gee'd up pests with you, :lol: you'll not only have the whole rock to yourself, with the right pests you'll have the whole area all the way back to Long Island for yourself as well. :thumbup:

Cheers

Hi Jewgaffer,

I'm getting closer I feel ;) Lets see if this picture paints a better picture. I found that red marker near parsley bay.

See my little picture from google earth.

I'll definately give you a buzz on your number when we get up there. Thursday to Sunday this weekend is when we will be staying up in Milson's passage.

Ben

post-3761-1237777386_thumb.jpg

Hi Jewgaffer,

........I'm getting closer I feel ;) Lets see if this picture paints a better picture. I found that red marker near parsley bay.

.......See my little picture from google earth.

Ben

Correct this time......The BLUE print is Flatrock Point.....

Mr Wolf, See the change of dark green to light green, where the light green meets the dark green would be the belt area to which I refer, anchor back from the travelling boat in the pic just near the black R near question mark and cast rods into wherever you see the water sweep coming into or out of the inlet and joining the main river current, three hours before and three hours after the top of the tide but that area has generally fished for me best during daylight hours :thumbup:

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

Awesome, thanks for the replies Jewgaffer. It's much appreciated. I would assume that this spot has been quite well known for sometime now and would usually get packed during prime times?

Do you know if there is drilled rod holes in the rock platform there or is a case of wedging rods in between rocks?

When casting from the rocks would you recommend heavy sinkers to keep the bait down against the strong tidal movement?

Cheers

Awesome, thanks for the replies Jewgaffer. It's much appreciated. I would assume that this spot has been quite well known for sometime now and would usually get packed during prime times?

Do you know if there is drilled rod holes in the rock platform there or is a case of wedging rods in between rocks?

When casting from the rocks would you recommend heavy sinkers to keep the bait down against the strong tidal movement?

Cheers

Hi Bolts, You rarely see anyone anchored there, they fish well away from the run into the public wharf and the marina and anchor in the deepest parts of the main river channel and they do that going off their depth sounder....... if you do see someone anchored there , anchor closer in and stagger your casts towards both sides of your boat and have baits where the rocks back from flatrock meet the sand using your own sounder to find where the rocks end and the gravel in front meets the sand and cover the long sandy runs and have rods out at both sides of your boat...

.....If you are landbased yes the are a few makeshift holes along there but further down past the red marker as the rocks become lower. You're better off taking 3x 75mm lengths of h/d plastic swimming pool pipe with you to wedge in between the rocks and pack them in tight yourself .....

For the current and getting good casting distance, use a large round running sinker above a swivel and have a soft bead below the sinker as a stopper to prevent wear on the swivel knot, only use a 60mm long trace in this particular case so that you can cast right out into the sand section and use enough weight to suit your beach rod and enough weight to hold your sinker on the bottom.......

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

Ahhh.

So a plan could either be: Hit the dead end a couple of hours before high tide and collect some livies. Then either fish flatrock or keep continuing down the dirt track beside the railway line and fish the small sandy beach near the railway cottages? I think I read another one of your posts stating that this spot is another proven Jewie ground.

Just need to find the right time and organise a leave pass from the pregnant :wife:

I think that's is going to be a lot tougher than actually hooking up a Jewie

During the last quarter of the run in tide, go up past the marina as far as you can and fish for your bait fish and follow your burley only while the tide in running into the dead end, and as the tide changes it will be time to start your jew session again and anchor outside of and back from the inlet as I mentioned in the other post.....

Cheers