A Day When Things Go Wrong

excalibre

First off i would like to thank the sydney water police for there help today.today started off by me sleeping in an running an hour late finally got to the ramp an headed off to get some bait at west head.our idea was to hit the fad early then troll for a marlin.So got plenty of bait an on our way to broken bay fad half way out we hear a bang we stop to look but could not find anything,so we keep going we get to the fad an start fishing we were getting a dollie nearly every bait havining a ball even though they were under size then having drifted so far past the fad it came time to motor back to it an start again but nothing no battery power at all not in either battery so we try everything to get it started but have u ever tried to pull start a 115 four stroke no chance just to much compresion.luckly we got the attension of another boat who came over to help but what could they do they towed us back to the fad an contacted the coast guard we could not even use the radio.the coast guard contacted the water police an a big thank you goes out to them they were out to us in under an hour we jumped started the boat but as soon as u put it in to gear it would stop so the call was made to tow us in an did they what we were doing an easy 30 to 35 km an hour all the way back to the ramp at brooklyn they got us home an they were the nicest guys so we got home which is the best part but never write off the water police to come to your aid cause they saved our bums today it will be going in this week to find out whats wrong i think alternator but wait an see.

excalibrepost-9740-1237716941_thumb.jpg

Edited by excalibre

Glad you are safe . Interesting to find out what went wrong and how both batteries died? Interesting if the stalling was in gear related.

Hope the other boat stood by and fished the extra large FAD and you dropped a few baits?

Just admit it ,fuels expensive and you wanted a free trip in. Bang may have been battery gas exploding?

Edited by pelican

Lucky you guys got back, thats the main thing!

Of my dealings with the water police they have always been top notch. Really friendly, quick to respond, they do a fantastic job. Last time they were even joking around about how shitty they think the water police boats are :1prop: I told them I would gladly take it off their hands. I wouldn't expect that kind of response from normal cops...

Hey excalibre,

Freaky stuff - my worst nightmare.

That bang - maybe a main fuse went that protects the distribution board from power surges? Do you have one of those big fuses? They are of a bigger amperage than the smaller fuses on the other devices.

If something metallic hit some of the battery terminals (eg a burley pot muncher touched +VE and -VE of one or more batteries) maybe that would have caused a short circuit. the touching of the terminals could also have made the bang. It's also possible all fuses of all devices blew all at once.

By the way, what kind of batteries do you have?

Is the boat a plate alloy hull? More chance that something could have shorted on the hull - better check you have sacrificial anodes as well and that they are not painted and wearing normally else the boat itself could turn to swiss cheese....

I would be keen to know - I have a plate boat myself, twin AGM batteries and did the wiring myself and I fish alone (mainly inshore) so, you could say I'm putting my life in my own hands !

Edited by Keflapod

thanks to all that replyed yes the main thing is that we are all still alive.the boat is a 560 bar crusher an yes all the fuses did blow but were replaced outside before the water police got there an still nothing so its off the the mechanics to suss it out thanks again

excalibre

I have the same boat n motor 04 modle n has not let me down, got 700 hrs on it so it will be interesting to here what the bang was.Mabey we can hook up n plan a trip out wide.hopet dont cost u to much to fix n u get back out there while the fish r on.good luck