Bombo 20/3

KINGvirgin

After a massive lay off due to work and other commitments i finally dusted off the gear and ventured out again.. oh what a feeling :yahoo:

i was again being guide to a newby to fishing, my mate Ross. We left a little later than planned but after a nice drive and a awesome maccas breakfast we arrived on the rock platform at 8am... He was christening a new rod which he had won in a raffle a few weeks ago... It was quite an interesting experience teaching and explaining the concept of the basic fishing skills most of us can do in our sleep! Anyways i rigged him up gave him a brief casting lesson and set him off, i then rigged up my light stick to chase some bream or trevally all the time while listening to him get excited and calling out happily " I FELT A BITE".. I tried to explain the concept of setting the hook when you felt you were on ( it was the only thing he never mastered)

he asked why his rod was much bulkier than mine and i was explaining that i was taking the risk by going for the smaller species and hoped that something bigger wouldnt hit me...sure enough on my 4lb light gear i get absolutely smashed by a nice salmon, after a short fight and a nice aerial leap i hear the dreaded PING and i am left to laugh at my luck... hoping for a repeat performance i beefed up my mainline with a 15lb leader but to no avail, the fish i guess were smarter than me.. We moved around the headland to another spot after continuously being stripped of our baits by annoying pickers... I'd never fished there before so i didnt know what to expect, 1st cast and within seconds i was on to a nice 27cm bream.. whilst i was in the process of setting him free i hear " I GOT ONE!" and Ross has a long tom flapping around on the rocks, both were released and then the snags came... I gave up and we headed to a spot C which was between A and B and within minutes we had some nice bites... I hooked another salmon on my mainline again and fared much better getting him all the way to the rocks but then lost him trying to pull him up to our platform... all i could do was laugh and bear it.. the rest of the session was pretty non eventful, plenty of bites and close calls but not much action... All in all though the weather was absolutely perfect and it set the tone nicely for the weekend, Ross caught the bug and wants to go again soon so we no doubt will have Round 2 in the near future.. And i was just stoked to be able to wet a line again after a lengthy lay off, hopefully i wont have to wait so long for the next trip ... Cheers all and tight lines :1fishing1:

What a great way to dust off the gear, and also get a newby hooked. Sounds like you had a fantastic time.

Heres to a lot more reports from you and also Ross. (I hope he is now a member. lol)

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Haha unfortunately this Ross is computer illiterate... but do pass on a cheery hello to "your" Ross from me!

Ta :biggrin2:

After a massive lay off due to work and other commitments i finally dusted off the gear and ventured out again.. oh what a feeling :yahoo:

i was again being guide to a newby to fishing, my mate Ross. We left a little later than planned but after a nice drive and a awesome maccas breakfast we arrived on the rock platform at 8am... He was christening a new rod which he had won in a raffle a few weeks ago... It was quite an interesting experience teaching and explaining the concept of the basic fishing skills most of us can do in our sleep! Anyways i rigged him up gave him a brief casting lesson and set him off, i then rigged up my light stick to chase some bream or trevally all the time while listening to him get excited and calling out happily " I FELT A BITE".. I tried to explain the concept of setting the hook when you felt you were on ( it was the only thing he never mastered)

he asked why his rod was much bulkier than mine and i was explaining that i was taking the risk by going for the smaller species and hoped that something bigger wouldnt hit me...sure enough on my 4lb light gear i get absolutely smashed by a nice salmon, after a short fight and a nice aerial leap i hear the dreaded PING and i am left to laugh at my luck... hoping for a repeat performance i beefed up my mainline with a 15lb leader but to no avail, the fish i guess were smarter than me.. We moved around the headland to another spot after continuously being stripped of our baits by annoying pickers... I'd never fished there before so i didnt know what to expect, 1st cast and within seconds i was on to a nice 27cm bream.. whilst i was in the process of setting him free i hear " I GOT ONE!" and Ross has a long tom flapping around on the rocks, both were released and then the snags came... I gave up and we headed to a spot C which was between A and B and within minutes we had some nice bites... I hooked another salmon on my mainline again and fared much better getting him all the way to the rocks but then lost him trying to pull him up to our platform... all i could do was laugh and bear it.. the rest of the session was pretty non eventful, plenty of bites and close calls but not much action... All in all though the weather was absolutely perfect and it set the tone nicely for the weekend, Ross caught the bug and wants to go again soon so we no doubt will have Round 2 in the near future.. And i was just stoked to be able to wet a line again after a lengthy lay off, hopefully i wont have to wait so long for the next trip ... Cheers all and tight lines :1fishing1:

great work, i never knew the rocks there was that productive

then again, i only fish from wollongong and port kembla breakwalls

great work, i never knew the rocks there was that productive

then again, i only fish from wollongong and port kembla breakwalls

always wanted to try them.... are they any good?

what do you fish there with (setup, baits etc) and what do u catch ?

Bombo is alright, but be prepared for snags. High tide is the best time to go but be sure its not too rough or you will get wet :1prop: