What Rod ?

fishmad

Hi People , Here it goes !!!!

I have a Saltiga 6500 Expedition i want to match a rod to , and dont know what to choose for the application .

I want to use it for Trolling , Down rigging ( over kill I know ), jigging , and cubeing for fin .

So what rod would you guys buy if in my position ?

If anyone has the same reel and uses it for the same applications some advice or experience would be great !

This has been doing my head in since i brought the reel early this year .

look forward to your feed back .

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

That is a machine of a reel you got there, what is the budget you intend on matching that rod?

For the application I think a good jigging rod will do the trick, I have a T-Curve Jig200 and have proved to be quite a weapon, I have used it in PErth jigging Samson with no problems, at around $250-$300 represents great value for money but a very short butt section making jigging all day uncomfortable or the next step up the Jih Wrex, tough rods and the plus alot of people have these rods at run out prices.

Or you could looks at Daiwa's range of rods such as

- Monster Mesh (Approx $280ish) have heard great things about this stick.

- Catalina Around $350-$400.

- Saltiga - Big dollars for what you get in my opinion (sorry don't want to be falmed)

Also there are a number of Other Stick out there by Smith (bad action seen one in action and did not like the bend too many straight sections whilst under load) , Jigging master and Hotz (but these 3 brand demand big dollars for their rods, but such weapons they are) .

You have a gun of reel so match it with a gun of a rod, no point matching a knife to the gun.

Cheers,

SZ1

Depending on budget but i guess with a reel like that budget isnt your issue.

I have played with a heap.

I would look at firstly the Carpenter OH56MH, Closley followed if not bettered by the Hots Wei World 52XH.

I got a custom built after playing with these rods and even owning a carpenter. The reason i went custom is that i wanted a slightly softer tip for downrigging and slightly smaller jigs.

There is nothing wrong with the Saltiga rods either. I run a 60b for downrigging and couldnt be happier with it.

If your into fancy also look at Fisherman and ripplefisher (boath megga bucks though)

Good luck!

Edited by VA911

Thanks for your input fellas !

I kind of had a smith in mind , But i also heard that they wouldnt exactly suit all the things i wanted to use it for .

Ill definatley look into those options .

Cheers

Hi Fishmad

Plenty of rods to suit the reel but now finding a rod that will suit you....

I have a few of these reels and each has a different rod. Mainly to suit the type of fishing.

I have one as a popper outfit matched with a Smiths Kotara 60. It's an 8ft rod loaded with 100lb braid and casts BIG poppers a mile! Great for shallow water on fast running fish BUT would suck big time hooked up on a tuna circling deep. The length would kill you!

That takes me to another type of the outfit.

For tuna fishing I use a Carpenter at 5'6" or a fisherman thats 5ft both loaded with 80lb. The short stroker style rods suit straight up and down fishing and it's truely amazing how quick you can get big fish up!

Fishing with Glenn Hunter last season I got 50+kg Yellowfin to the boat under 8mins and no more than 50m of drag came off the reel. It was the 7th tuna for the day and I really didn't care if I popped it off. Fishing almost a dog leash and me being lead around the coc kipt I'd never been so close to being pulled out of the boat before! :biggrin2:

My last would be the best all rounder out of the 4 I have.

It's the cheaper out of the bunch and oldest. I have used this outfit for the last 4 years and has been on every big trip since. The Diawa Saltiga Hiramasa 63S.

At 6'3" it makes it a castable rod but then still enough grunt to jig a 250gm lure

6'3 might be handy down rigging as it should give you a little more rod and line clearence from the boat. At around $650 it's about 35% cheaper than anything else worth looking at.

I have used a monster mesh and broke it on a shark, heard of others too.

T Curve, good value but when you spend that much money on a reel a better rod is worth it.

I usually try spend the same amount on rods vs. reels for combos.

Greg

Hi Fishmad

Plenty of rods to suit the reel but now finding a rod that will suit you....

I have a few of these reels and each has a different rod. Mainly to suit the type of fishing.

I have one as a popper outfit matched with a Smiths Kotara 60. It's an 8ft rod loaded with 100lb braid and casts BIG poppers a mile! Great for shallow water on fast running fish BUT would suck big time hooked up on a tuna circling deep. The length would kill you!

That takes me to another type of the outfit.

For tuna fishing I use a Carpenter at 5'6" or a fisherman thats 5ft both loaded with 80lb. The short stroker style rods suit straight up and down fishing and it's truely amazing how quick you can get big fish up!

Fishing with Glenn Hunter last season I got 50+kg Yellowfin to the boat under 8mins and no more than 50m of drag came off the reel. It was the 7th tuna for the day and I really didn't care if I popped it off. Fishing almost a dog leash and me being lead around the coc kipt I'd never been so close to being pulled out of the boat before! :biggrin2:

My last would be the best all rounder out of the 4 I have.

It's the cheaper out of the bunch and oldest. I have used this outfit for the last 4 years and has been on every big trip since. The Diawa Saltiga Hiramasa 63S.

At 6'3" it makes it a castable rod but then still enough grunt to jig a 250gm lure

6'3 might be handy down rigging as it should give you a little more rod and line clearence from the boat. At around $650 it's about 35% cheaper than anything else worth looking at.

T Curve, good value but when you spend that much money on a reel a better rod is worth it.

I usually try spend the same amount on rods vs. reels for combos.

Greg

The SALTIGA MASTER has spoken.

Theres a bit of difference between toasters and saltigas !

I was looking at spending arond the $700 mark so i guess cos i want it for mutiple uses and on such different fishing techniques , I would say based on Gregs comments and experiences ill probably go with the Saltiga Rod as a "good allrounder"

Unless $700 will get me something better ?

I guess problem solved . Untill i get to the tackle shop !

Mark

Damnit... I love my Monster Mesh :(

That's what I was about to recommend, but perhaps not flash enough for a $1K reel! It's an enviable problem to have :thumbup:

Edited by g.t.

Thanks for your input fellas ,

I did set a budget of around $700

Based on GregLs personal advise and experience . I guess the option is simple i need an " allrouder " rod .

So Saltiga it is . Unless you can get something better for that money which i dont believe you can ?

I was thinking of using the Daiwa 90pound coloured Braid . Any other sugestions would be great .

Cheers

Mark

Seriously though Greg, If i had all the toys you had to play with i would almost never get bored!!!!

And i have the worst case of A.D.D. I have ever heard of! :beersmile:

Vince my mates spin out when they come to my place, I get comments like "is that the TV you watch? Really is that it?"

"Look over there, I spend way to much on fishing tackle to afford the big a$$ TV's!" is my usual ansawer....

It's not like we take what ever we want, I still pay for everything I take home even to small things like a packet of batteries. If I don't want my staff to do it, why should I?

It just shows a good example.

G