Reel Advice

Hoody

Hi Raiders,

Just wondering if anyone had suggestions on a spinning reel that will hold 200m of 8kg line. Probably around the 200 dollar mark. I like Shimano reels but open to any suggestions.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

A shimano Stradic would suit well, good quality reel and about $200. A 3000 size would probably fit 200m of 8kg braid, might fit the mono as well.

What are you intending on using it for?

Josh

A shimano Stradic would suit well, good quality reel and about $200. A 3000 size would probably fit 200m of 8kg braid, might fit the mono as well.

What are you intending on using it for?

Josh

I agree Josh and would also add the new Shimano Symetre 2500 or 3000, they have moved up the rankings to just under Stradic qualities, they too are in your budget...

Cheers..

Previous suggestions are top... If you mean mono then you might want something slightly bigger like a Penn 650 or 6500ss, Shimano 4500 Baitrunner, etc.

What sort of fishing do you want to do with it... might be able to narrow down the suggestions a bit.

Cheers, Sllinky

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm building a 7'0 6-8kg rod for Jewfish. I like the Stradic and Symetre (i've put a little symetre on my bream rod) and i like the 4500 baitrunner (for live bait). I was thinking the baitrunner originally, as i will be using live yellowtail some of the time. I have the 6500 for my beach rod. That reel is too big for this rod though.

Does that change your minds? I'm leaning towards the baitrunner.

The bait runner is pretty good choice, it is slightly bigger then the 4000 Stradic or Symetry. Although I am sure you can get a 5000 or 6000 stradic, either way they are all great value. The Stradic may cost a little more then the bait runner tho.

Cheers,

SZ

Hi Hoody if you want a reliable reel with a bit of grunt and a tough drag system, Penn have specials around on 850ss combos that are now made in China under Penns quality contro.l These combos have been priced down to well under two hundred dollars at the moment...... A mate of mine who is always fussy with his gear is buying a couple of Penn 850ss reels today that come with well matched rods also made by Penn and he intends to use 10 or 12 kilo mono on one and 80lb braid on the other, so you would get good length out of 8kilo mono......

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: