Radio Probs

nic_ally_king

Hi,

Just put a new 27mhz GME radio and ariel (1.8m) in the boat. I connected it to the earth and power my humminbird is powered with... when the radio is on w/o the finder, I get no reception (just poor scrappy signal/fuzz)... when it's on with the finder, I get the same but with way more/louder interference. I don't really care about the interference b/w the two for the time being as the radio's there only for regulations and I won't be using them both at the same time (I've spent so much time buggering around w electronics lately I cannot be stuffed switching it just yet).

BUT, my question is, why can I not pick up a signal?

I havn't tested it on the water, but i'm less than a Km from pittwater/the ocean so I wouldn't have thought it would matter. Ariel is connected right mounted into ally, not running along any metals..

Any ideas????????

Thanks,

Nic

nic,

you may have a short in the coaxial cable - check your connections, making sure the outer layer of copper is not touching the inner copper core.

Actually, I would double check all the electrical connections before you do anything else.

is it also possible that you happened to have the unit on when there is no radio traffic to hear anyway ? - just a thought. - Maybe find out when the weather skeds are & turn it on then (coastal patrol will be able to tell you when that is)

good luck.

nic,

you may have a short in the coaxial cable - check your connections, making sure the outer layer of copper is not touching the inner copper core.

Actually, I would double check all the electrical connections before you do anything else.

is it also possible that you happened to have the unit on when there is no radio traffic to hear anyway ? - just a thought. - Maybe find out when the weather skeds are & turn it on then (coastal patrol will be able to tell you when that is)

good luck.

Yeh cheers mate I think that's prob it. I think from memory I had a similar prob with a vhf once. Got this feeling its all gonna work early on the water tomorrow morning. thats the plan anyway hah