Got The Baitcaster Blues

diver1

ive got a gloomis gl3 5;6 heavy , fast action 5 to 9 kg with a penn jack erskine signiture on it and i cant master these :ranting2: baitcaster overhead things. should i keep trying or just go back to me eggbeaters? also is this rod to heavy as in (5 to 9 kg) for fishing in the lake? even tho its thin and light as anything (being a gloomis) just trying to decide whether to persist or go eggbeater? are the overheads really worth the hassle? ie are they that much better that i should take the time to learn how to use them?

Hi Diver An original Loomis boat rod and a Jack Erskine Signature overhead reel would be a nice asset to own.....There are many situations in fishing where overheads and baitcasters have an advantage over spinning reels and stand out on their own. You should persevere with both until you are good at it and happy about what you've achieved. If you decide you generally prefer using spinning reels for ease of use or Alveys for extra strength for the type of fishing you do, having put using overheads and baitcasters behind you for the time being, you can move along more confidently and focus on improving on something else like conditions, locations, bait presentation, baits on the day etc. With fishing, the more you persevere, and the more loose ends you tie up along the way, the more rewards you get along the way.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

G'day Diver,

It's worth learning how to use one if for no other reason than to say you can. As to whether it's worthwhile, like any bit of kit baitcasters have their place but aren't necessarily suited to everything.

Thats a pretty heavy baitcast outfit you're using... suited to big barra in a place like Awoonga so if you're chasing flatties and stuff its a lot heavier than I would use.

What are you trying to cast with it mate? That outfit is probably suited to casting big Halco Scorpions, Squidgee Slick Rigs, etc. If you're trying to cast light weights you'll have a lot of trouble.

Baitcasters are ideally suited to casting at structure (thumb control gives you potentially more accuracy) or in tight areas (usually shorter rods than spinning rods). There are other uses as well but I won't bore you. Somtimes it's just personal preference.

As a guide, the odd occasion I've used baitcasters in estuaries I've used either a 1-3kg rod with a 1500 ABU or something in the 2-5kg area with a small baitcaster like a Shimano Coriolis or Daiwa Sol.

Just let us know a bit more about what you're using it for and someone will give you some advice.

Cheers, Slinky

this rod was supposed to be for fishing in the lake mainly for flathead or bream , i think your right in that its a heavy outfit more suited to outside fishing, my other graphite rods are 2 to 4 kg which is much more suited to what im doing, if any1 one else uses this type of gear and wants to swap me a decent quality graphite rod and eggbeater reel combo in a lighter outfit (2 to 4 kg?) just pm me as i dont want this thing sitting there not getting used.

this rod was supposed to be for fishing in the lake mainly for flathead or bream , i think your right in that its a heavy outfit more suited to outside fishing, my other graphite rods are 2 to 4 kg which is much more suited to what im doing, if any1 one else uses this type of gear and wants to swap me a decent quality graphite rod and eggbeater reel combo in a lighter outfit (2 to 4 kg?) just pm me as i dont want this thing sitting there not getting used.

When i first got my calcutta every cast i did it would bust up, so i just spent a few hours in the back yard with an old lure with the hooks cut off it and just casted it and i put a bucket on the other end of the yard and just kept practising until i had a good rate of getting into the bucket, now i have no probelms using it at all. I think they are harder to use if they are smaller because i have a bigger cheaper baitcaster and i never had no probelm casting with the 25Lb mono.

another tip is to never let your finger off the spool, always lightly keep it on there when casting or it will normally cause you hassle

Cheers

Cory

Hi Diver.... Just a some food for thought about your Loomis........ The Loomis is an outstanding fast action rod, and in having a maximum line class of 20lbs, it is more of a high class, sporty fighting rod and by no means a true heavy action rod, because it has the ingredients of having fast multi taper action, being apparently stamped to suit 5kg -9kg/20lb line class as you have mentioned.... The 5kg/11lb is for tip sensitivity for your bream and flathead etc and the 9kg/20 lb is for reserve back bone power in the butt section for the jewfish you mentioned and kingfish etc, making it an ideal multi purpose rod and a big name, hi quality, expensive, sort after rod at that ...... The graphite rod you mention above would average out its sensitivity and back bone in the up front working area as the Loomis has in the tip section alone, but just look at the power in the backbone of the Loomis :thumbup: ........

My U.S. Model 7' Tiger rods, of which I own 11, are extra fast action rods all rated from only 4kg/10lbs - 20odd kg /50lb in the one rod, and are sporty on bream, salmon etc but have the backbone reserves at 50lb to handle a larger jewfish, kingfish and the power to handle a shark....

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

G'Day mate

This topic has been covered quite a bit. Click on the link below for some great information:

Baitcasting links

Baitcasting outfits can be great fun to play with, and shouldn't detract from your whole fishing experience like it has to date. So ....

1. Read the advice and suggestions in the link

2. Take your egg-beater outfits out on the water for the time being

3. Rig your baitcasting outfit with a casting plug, grab an ice-cold beverage out of the fridge, and practice in the comfort of your own back yard!

Pinch the missus' favourite clothes basket and put it down the back yard and practice casting into it. When you've mastered that, swap it for her favourite laundry bucket (I can here the ladies of the forum abusing me as I type :074: ) and practice casting into that. Once you have mastered that, take your outfit on the water and enjoy it!

Righto, I'm off to wash the dishes ..... :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

so have i got this right? use dont think that its to heavy a class rod 4 me flatties n things? (basic estuary stuff?)

Diver, one my favourite all purpose bay and estuary rods for fishing with bait is a shakes/pere 1979 model tripple wrapped President rod, specially built to adequately compete with and take some of the market back from their own ugly stik division......... This President rod is a lively 17lb line rated rod that a bait fishermen would call a bream and flathead rod, and whatever other fish takes the bait on it at its mono line class........ This rod is only 3lbs lighter in line class than your own Loomis.... Based on your Loomis rod's line rating of 20lbs, any good honest fisherman, who wears matched socks, would call your Loomis an ideal rod for the same purpose, whilst the Loomis would tire a large jew quicker than my President would...

I use a lot of small natural bait to medium size live bait on the President, with believe it or not an older model pennfisher 750ss with 80lb braid to cover me particularly when using live baits in drop offs or when fishing in deepwater on bad pressure days...

Your Loomis, unless it was shortened at sometime without your knowledge, being stated at 20lb line rating would be only a fraction slower than my President rod in that respect....

I have many 5w -7w dual purpose fly/spin rods and many 2-6lb bream etc rods suitable for fishing the flats and light line lure fishing....and quite an arsenal of rods to target fish other than jewfish, some of which I can also run small live baits on in safe areas on 6 and 8lb braid.....

In other words your Loomis/Penn combo is a very good one for the live poddy mullet you intend to run, with the chance of catching and landing a jewfish, as you intended. Besides that the Loomis combo can also be changed to an overhead reel such as a small tld 15 should you prefer to have an overhead as well.

Hope this helps to clear up your baitcaster/overhead inquiry a little better.......

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

i actualy have a shimmano tekoda 600 overhead reel, would that be to big for it you think? maybe them to paired up would be a good live bait rod? that would surely stop just about anything.

Hi Diver thanks for the reply... Good to see you're finally getting somewhere with the Loomis rod.

The fact that you already own an appropriate, similiarly rated overhead reel fixes the mismatch problem and probably a reason for finding a casting reel so hard to get used to.... Apparantly the Tekota was overlooked in favour of a small 2-4kilo baitcaster someone put on a rod that is a true medium bay/estuary/ light game rod, rated for at least 25lbs in line class and is an easy size to use in a boat and a very good rod 5'6" rod at that..... Pair the Tekota with the Loomis to give both the rod and the overhead reel something to do and just take your time and learn how to use a good an overhead properly.

Compared to spinning reels, an overhead is a far better propsition for pulling weighty fish out of very deepwater i.e. for your particular use, for stopping and holding up medium size kingfish, medium jew etc..... While we are on the subject are you sure the Loomis configuration is for overheads and not for spinning reels?

The 600 size Tekota is a solid overhead reel about 15 -20 lb in line class and no frills little workhorse that should match the Loomis for your general fishing as mentioned above, whereas a size up in the Tekota would be ideal for heavier than average fish in inshore deepwater and close off shore reefs etc and would just make the Loomis more sporty. The 600 would even out well with the Loomis and take close to 350 yards using say 20lb trilene mono. Tekotas are level wind reels with trolling live bait in mind, and a level wind overhead would suit drifting/pausing to let out line, and winding in etc...

All the best mate .... if you persevere and still can't hack using an overhead and decide to sell both, at least you will be selling an expensive big name Loomis rod with a very popular overhead reel as a boat fishing combo

Cheers

thanks jewgaffer, yer the loomis is definetly 4 a overhead and not a spinning reel, and the tekoda seems a lot easier to use , at least just useing it 4 livies or bait i havent really gota cast it, i can just drop it over the side and drift with it while im flicken me plastics or just start doing short casts to get used to it.

Edited by diver1

it will be a challenge when starting off using baitcast. I got bird nesting all the time. but keep trying, pay more attention to your thumb pressure and use the mechanic break and magnetic break as your asistance. Once you mastering it, you will enjoy the sensitivity and controls baitcaster can offer.

I think it's way to heavy for casting lures & plastics for flatties & bream. That rod is a ball breaker.

It may not be the best casting reel either.

The ABU range are really easy to cast. Same as other quality brands.

Start off by screwing the cast control right up. You should be able to cast a short distance without b/nesting.

Bit by bit back off the cast control & lightly increase thumb pressure. After an hour you'll be fine.

I love using baitcasters as much as an eggbeater. They can do things that an eggbeater can't in some instances.

Cheers,

Grant.