What Colour Fishing Line?

stoli72

Hi All

I've been doing a fair bit of reading about different types of fishing lines out there, as a preliminary step to upgrading the mono line on a few of my rods (mainly beach and rock outfits).

I've read somewhere that different coloured lines have varying visibility characteristics in the water, and at differing depths, with RED apparently being the one that 'disappears' quickest and in the shallowest water.

Does anyone have any informaiton about this - I hear different things from different people and sources (mainly online) and thought I'd get a straight answer on here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Paul. :thumbup:

ive also heard red is more invisible in water but have nothing to back it up.. would be interesting

Jack

maybe this will help you with your decision

post-802-1238643782_thumb.jpg

because the red colour has a wider diameter does that mean it is more visable in shallow water than say the yellow?

Jack

:1yikes: WOW!!! awesome pik there crazed fisherdude :thumbup:

I dislike yellow because its bright and the leather jacket just love chopping it up :thumbdown: Very annoying and expensive losing all thee sinkers hooks swivels and lures

Hi All

I've been doing a fair bit of reading about different types of fishing lines out there, as a preliminary step to upgrading the mono line on a few of my rods (mainly beach and rock outfits).

I've read somewhere that different coloured lines have varying visibility characteristics in the water, and at differing depths, with RED apparently being the one that 'disappears' quickest and in the shallowest water.

Does anyone have any informaiton about this - I hear different things from different people and sources (mainly online) and thought I'd get a straight answer on here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Paul. :thumbup:

So is that a yes to red being the better colour line to fish with??? :(

G'day Stoli,

To try to simplify things a bit, if you look at fishing line underwater you'll notice that line diameter has more to do with visibility than colour (talking about mono nylon). Ultimately if fish were smart enough to identify fishing line it wouldn't really matter what colour it was, which is why people catch fish on plenty of different coloured lines.

One of the post is correct that once the colour is no longer visible, it doesn't mean the line turns inviible... it just doesn't look red (or whatever) anymore.

Getting high visibility line colours is more about you being able to see what your line is doing... in soft plastics fishing for example you can see your yellow line easily and might therefore see it twitch when a bream takes your lure.

The best thing to do if visibility is the deciding factor for you is either get a clear line (which is going to be the least visible option), pay a bit more if you want to still use mono for a brand that is very fine for its breaking strain, or to use leaders (of Fluorocarbon if you really want to reduce visibility). The rest comes down to personal preference.

Bear in mind though that you need to think about more than just visibility... abrasion resistance, stretch , feel, etc etc all play a part.

Sorry if this makes things less clear instead of more clear.

Cheers, Slinky

PS... the short answer- for rock fishing stick with mono (better abrasion resistance) and go for a hard line before worrying about colour... something like Tortue, Platypus Platinum, even cheap old Schneider.

For beach, use a braid in a fluoro colour so you can see what your line is doing in the surf.