Sp Jighead Castabilty

david88

Hey guys, I hate how good light jigheads are very hard to cast long distances.

I thought up a possible solution thats probably already been made, if so could someone please direct me as to where i can find them?

If a regular jighead is made with a small air bubble inside it would this increase its bouyancy (for finess fishing) without reducing its weight and castability?

or would a small air bubble not be enough to slow its sink rate?

i thought about just using a more bouyant Soft Plastic however this would result in a retarded swim action on the sink (head down tail straight up)

Is my idea bogus or is there somewhere out there i can find such a jighead (or other solution to my problem)?

your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Dave E.

Hi Dave

What are you trying to catch and what plastics are you fishing.

There are a few different jig heads like TT's hidden weight system (HWS) for light stuff and then the good old worm hook should get you threw the bigger plastics.

A few other things are that make a massive difference is type of rod, rod length, line your using and leader length.

On a rod that's designed to do it you can cast a 6" unweighted plastic on a worm hook 20m with good braid and a short leader that doesn't go into the guides.

Cast a 2" worm on a 1/40 HWS on a 7'2" finesse bream rod 15m.

It can be done but it might just be the gear is not suitable for what your trying to do.....

Greg

Hey Greg, thanks for the reply.

I understand what you mean however that is not the problem, i am using a Shimano rack raider 6"8 with a stradic 2500FI, 6 pound fireline with a 9 pound fluorocarbon leader. (i know the line is kinda heavy but im after some big flattys occasionally).

I tried to explain that Im losing cast distance when fishing in windy conditions.

I was mainly trying to gain an understand of the pros and cons of such a system that i suggested because I personally think that you can never cast too far, being able to cover more ground is a big advantage IMHO.

Thank you for your reply though.

Regards, Dave.