Saturday On The Harbour

greg123

Launched from Roseville at 4am with a mate and it was straight off to the spit for some squid. We managed only 5.. probably due to the dirty rain water. We planned on having a short day so headed straight over to our favourite marker in the harbour and after a few casts had a small but strong +/- 60cm king on.. after a short fight i got it to the boat but somehow it got off..i wasnt too pleased. Anyway they were fairly quiet there so we moved off too some other structures where i got a leatherjacket and hooked up another 60ish cm king.. this one fought even harder but again busted me off (i had run short of the gangs i usually use and was forced to put on some dodgey ones which didnt seem to stay in the fish too well :ranting2: )

After that the 25knt southerly had picked up :1badmood: so we headed home (as it wasnt too comfortable in my 4m tinny which was now out of bait).

All in all a decent day.. would have liked to land one of the kings but given the circumstances it still beats a day at work/uni. :thumbup:

You did well to find 5 squid I reckon. :thumbup:

I believe that if you get rid of the gang hooks & go to a 2 hook snell or snood rig your hookup rate will be much better.

You don't want to have gang hooks on the end of your line when you hit a really big fish.

Cheers,

Grant.

Badluck on the lost kings,always heartbreaking to put in all the effort only to loose them at the boat.

Mate you definately have to learn to tie on a two hook snell & put them in the squid baits,your

hookup rate will not only be better,but its a much stronger connection than a set of gangs.

Learn to tie it good through knot books then go out & try it on the kings next time.

cheers

Steve

Bad luck on the lost fish as Nexus says losing fish boat side sucks, I definatly agree with the above lose the gang and you will increase hook up. On squid strips and lolly pop sized yakkas I often only use a single 7/0 live bait hook, I only use double hook when using live squids 15cm+ and above or largish yakkas. The gangs are not very strong and if you get a good fish you will straighten them, however they are great for tailors.

Cheers,

SZ1

Thanks for the advise, will defiantly be changing to the snell rig permanently. I have used a snell rig with a treble at the bottom before but didn't notice the difference. It was only once though so i cant judge.

And yes i was surprised too with the squid considering how dirty the water was.

Are squid much harder to get during the colder months?

I hear in winter there aren't as many rats and even though the kings are less frequent they are generally a better size? True?

Anyway I'm assuming i need squid for either kings or jews so are there any techniques out there when squidding in winter months (if it makes any difference)