Fishing Reels

steze

Hello everyone. Ive been looking around for a new fishing reel and im not exactly too sure on what is good out there. Im sorta new to fishing and very unfamiliar with alot ofo things. I went to a shop and the salesmen recommended me the Shimano saratoga 8000 series which would be suitable for my fishing rod. Ive tried to see what other reels are equivalent in range and quality. Could anyone here give me any other recommendations because the shimano seem like a very good reel. Im looking to spend around 200-300.

I mainly fish on land so i dont need nothing to serious, just something that will be durable and wont screw up on me like my other cheapy reels.

Cheers

I think any of the following 6000 size shimano threadline's such as Stradic,Sustain or Spheros would be

perfect for any type of landbased fishing.All come with 2 spools so you can fish different lines such as

monofilament on 1 & braid on the other.What fish are you trying to target? as all these would be ideal

for fish such as flathead,tailor,salmon,jewfish, even bream,trevally & drummer from the rocks.

cheers

Steve

I think any of the following 6000 size shimano threadline's such as Stradic,Sustain or Spheros would be

perfect for any type of landbased fishing.All come with 2 spools so you can fish different lines such as

monofilament on 1 & braid on the other.What fish are you trying to target? as all these would be ideal

for fish such as flathead,tailor,salmon,jewfish, even bream,trevally & drummer from the rocks.

cheers

Steve

Im mainly fishing for tailor, breams, trevally, jewfish and salmons. My rod i think is a 10 ft? the one thats one size down from the 12 ft rod. I usually fish at places like avoca rocks and bundeena

Hi Steze,

From your answer to Hodgey, thought you might like some simple guidance. Just need to ask a couple of more specific questions so we can all steer you right.

Your 10' rod will have a few extra details that are important to make sure you get the right reel. Somewhere down near the reel seat it should tell you the brand, the model, some information about what line breaking strain it's suitable for, and maybe the casting weight it suits.

Could you let us know those things... it will help a lot.

Then with the fish you're chasing... what sort of fishing do you like to do for them? Do you like using bait, lures, both? Do you fish with floats, bottom rigs, lightly weighted baits in the wash?

Don't let the detail of these questions put you off... you don't need to know heaps about fishing to have a great time but with some of this info we should be able to make recommendations that will have you fishing simply and happily.

Hi Steze,

From your answer to Hodgey, thought you might like some simple guidance. Just need to ask a couple of more specific questions so we can all steer you right.

Your 10' rod will have a few extra details that are important to make sure you get the right reel. Somewhere down near the reel seat it should tell you the brand, the model, some information about what line breaking strain it's suitable for, and maybe the casting weight it suits.

Could you let us know those things... it will help a lot.

Then with the fish you're chasing... what sort of fishing do you like to do for them? Do you like using bait, lures, both? Do you fish with floats, bottom rigs, lightly weighted baits in the wash?

Don't let the detail of these questions put you off... you don't need to know heaps about fishing to have a great time but with some of this info we should be able to make recommendations that will have you fishing simply and happily.

In regards to the information about my rod i will post that up a bit later because im at work at the moment and the rod isnt with me. I generally use baits such as prawns, pilchrids, squid or worms. Generally when i fish of the rocks i use floaties or sometimes sinkers depending where i am at. But i will get back to everyone with more information once i get back home. Thank you everyone in advance for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the information about my rod i will post that up a bit later because im at work at the moment and the rod isnt with me. I generally use baits such as prawns, pilchrids, squid or worms. Generally when i fish of the rocks i use floaties or sometimes sinkers depending where i am at. But i will get back to everyone with more information once i get back home. Thank you everyone in advance for all your help.

Hi again, id just like to update that ive managed to gear myself up with a new rod and reel. I went for the shimano spheros 12000fa fishing reel and the shimano enduros 12' rod. Oh can i just also say , during my trip around sydney to look for fishing gear, i went into a na conda located in parramatta. I have found that their service is very dissappointing. the gentleman that was looking after me did not have a clue about anything and my first thought was " i aint buying anything from here". I stood for 15-20 min and there was no one to help me out. I had to go grab a bloke and even then he couldnt help me. I asked him ' so what can you tell me about this reel?". His first reaction was a shrug and then he told me " this is a normal reel.. you can cast it far".

besides that i went somewhere else whom the salesman were very friendly and helpful. I hope the stuff i bought is good as the guys said it was.

Hope to catch big ones this weekend...

cheers. btw thanks for everyone's advice. it did help me alot in choosing my gear

Edited by steze