Can Anyone Introduce Me To Some Good Boat Hires?

sam0216

Hello fellow fishraiders,

its nearly uni break and i want to go on a fishing trip for like 2 days on a boat we can hire. As we have never been boat fishing, and also landbased!! there is a certain point where landbased fishing stops hehe

Was wondering if there is anyone here on the forum that can help me and my mates to decide for a good vacation off uni.

Anywhere in sydney is good, e.g hawksberry, botany?

thanks

Tight lines

Hi sam0216 The Yellow pages directory assistant would be able to give you a list over the phone for the areas you ask for...... It might be an idea to fish the Hawkesbury when the water becomes clean from the recent run off..... the river is recovering but its still not a good colour just yet .... We don't seem to have many members local to the area who fish the mid upper reaches to be able to see how the area is looking and find out how it has been fishing so far this Autumn, but we do have Pete Tide'n'knots who goes up whenever he gets the chance to.....You'd be able to start fishing somewhere downriver but close to Wiseman',s but it would be too far for you to go from say Brooklyn..... I'd be inclined to motor down river having a look at the surroundings and pick a spot where the shoreline gives you a bit of everything if not only on one side.... or on both sides and try the sand bank shallows in the early am first, then fish or drift fish along the rocky shore sections and finally anchoring on the side of the channel where the vegetation looks good or where it looks good for blackfish to be and achor just out of casting distance from nthe vegetaion or from the blackfish rocks...I live in the Campbelltown area and if it was me going in a hire boat, I would order some pilchards, Hawkesbury prawns, fresh squid and a few cartoons of worms from Go Fish Dural, and make sure I got a boat with a motor around 15-20hp on it...

Hope this information helps should you decide on going to the Hawkesbury down old Northern Road......

If you don't finish going to that part of the river or if you decide to fish elsewhere, it would be a good idea to keep that part of the Hawkesbury in mind for next time.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Sam0216,

I'm more than likely stating the obvious, but for anything over 10HP you need a boat license.

The company I hire from is excellent - the boats are fast, safe, and awesome but pricey. So it depends on your budget. There are a few places around the Hawkesbury that rent out tinnies, and there's a couple of cheaper places in Pittwater. You'll also find that hiring in the Hawkesbury and Pittwater is much cheaper than hiring in Sydney Harbour.

Some of the companies don't allow hiring overnight either - this is usually for insurance reasons. And some do allow hiring overnight, but will have some rule saying that you must moor/land your boat by a certain time before dark.

I'm spending Easter on a houseboat (with it's own tinnie too :) ) and I've never done a multi-day boat fishing trip before and I can't stop thinking about all the fishing! :1fishing1:

PM me for specifics :)

James.

Hello fellow fishraiders,

its nearly uni break and i want to go on a fishing trip for like 2 days on a boat we can hire. As we have never been boat fishing, and also landbased!! there is a certain point where landbased fishing stops hehe

Was wondering if there is anyone here on the forum that can help me and my mates to decide for a good vacation off uni.

Anywhere in sydney is good, e.g hawksberry, botany?

thanks

Tight lines

Hi Sam0216,

I'm more than likely stating the obvious, but for anything over 10HP you need a boat license.

The company I hire from is excellent - the boats are fast, safe, and awesome but pricey. So it depends on your budget. There are a few places around the Hawkesbury that rent out tinnies, and there's a couple of cheaper places in Pittwater. You'll also find that hiring in the Hawkesbury and Pittwater is much cheaper than hiring in Sydney Harbour.

Some of the companies don't allow hiring overnight either - this is usually for insurance reasons. And some do allow hiring overnight, but will have some rule saying that you must moor/land your boat by a certain time before dark.

I'm spending Easter on a houseboat (with it's own tinnie too :) ) and I've never done a multi-day boat fishing trip before and I can't stop thinking about all the fishing! :1fishing1:

PM me for specifics :)

James.

Minor correction there. As long as it is not a commercial vessel you should only need a boat licence if you are travelling faster than 10 knots. 10, 20, 30, 225 horsepower shouldn't matter just the travelling speed. Having said that it is still better to have a very good understanding of the rules involved in boating and once you have that getting a boat licence is only a little step further.

Edited by DerekD

Thanks for the correction. Although I always thought a physical throttle limiter must be installed if the boat was capable of more than 10HP.

Minor correction there. As long as it is not a commercial vessel you should only need a boat licence if you are travelling faster than 10 knots. 10, 20, 30, 225 horsepower shouldn't matter just the travelling speed. Having said that it is still better to have a very good understanding of the rules involved in boating and once you have that getting a boat licence is only a little step further.