Flicking For Bream?

screech

few tips needed.

i've been starting to get into lure fishing and move away from bait and find not having any problem with catching flathead. one species i want to start hooking up to are bream. i've only managed 2 on small hard bodies.

i hear they are a bit more finiky and spook easier. so whats the best way to reduce this?

lighter leader (how light?)??

when using jig heads with plastic how light??

let the soft plastic sink to the bottom before retrieval?

long pauses or short?

smaller and less aggressive flicks with the rod??

slow retrieve when using hard bodies?

assistance would be great!

thanks guys!

A good starting point for chasing bream on plastics for a beginner would be to fish light, say 4 - 8lb braid & 6lb leader.

A 1/16th jighead should do you but you can go even lighter. 3 "Berkley power minnows in pearl/watermelon are good. :biggrin2:

Fish the plastic VERY slowly. Little hops & glides & decent pauses. The slower the better.

This is very basic advice but it should get you started & into some bream.

Cheers,

Grant.

A good starting point for chasing bream on plastics for a beginner would be to fish light, say 4 - 8lb braid & 6lb leader.

A 1/16th jighead should do you but you can go even lighter. 3 "Berkley power minnows in pearl/watermelon are good. :biggrin2:

Fish the plastic VERY slowly. Little hops & glides & decent pauses. The slower the better.

This is very basic advice but it should get you started & into some bream.

Cheers,

Grant.

thanks i'll giv it a go. so would u say as slow as you would for squid??

few tips needed.

i've been starting to get into lure fishing and move away from bait and find not having any problem with catching flathead. one species i want to start hooking up to are bream. i've only managed 2 on small hard bodies.

i hear they are a bit more finiky and spook easier. so whats the best way to reduce this?

lighter leader (how light?)??

when using jig heads with plastic how light??

let the soft plastic sink to the bottom before retrieval?

long pauses or short?

smaller and less aggressive flicks with the rod??

slow retrieve when using hard bodies?

assistance would be great!

thanks guys!

Good move!

At times there is defiantly an art to fishing for bream, and light leaders I find are a must now! On flats I use 2-4lb fluro leader with 4lb braid.

I only use hard bodys in shallow water (up to 20cm) so I will give you what tips I can there.

You still have some surface time left so buy a Jackson t-pivot in the natural colour and the technique to this lure is small constant twitches so the lure bobs along the surface looking like it goes in and out of the water. if you get a rise stop the Lure and give it tiny twitches and then continue. Pause are around 5 secs and twitches a little faster than a second hand on a clock. same idea goes for poppers!

Small divers, I like to fish them with a Slow roll sharp twitch and pause. Slow roll sharp twitch and pause Fast run and pause, pays to experiment. Fave lure is a Salmo Hornet for this, or sx40, fat one, I only use divers that sink very slow or sit in the water on a pause.

Run in tides are best for me before the flats are covered (fishing edges) hope this helps a little..