Trolling Trace

mark84

I have been doing a bit of trolling around middle harbour for kings and have caught a couple but lost a fair few i have been using 20lb fluro trace i only use the cd 9s and lures of similar size. If i was to use 50lb trace does it effect the lures motion much as i am losing a lot of $$$ worth of lures.

I generally use 20lb flurocarbon but if knowing i am likely to encounter bigger fish then i use 40lb jinkai for trolling, i think with trolling it doesn't matter as much as when you have a bait still in the water as the fish is less able to size it up like they do with the baits and hit the lighter line due to the constant movement. I doubt many kings would be taken on the troll now, maybe a few but i reckon its best about september-october when some decent fish are in and before the rats invasion.

Cheers

Josh

Sorry if i gave you a bum steer but i was talking about live baiting with dogtooth not trolling. I assumed that they would be the same but obviously not. I agree that the lighter the better but if the $$$$ are stacking up from lost lures you will definately want to go heavier than you are using.

You haven't said what you mainline is - presumably it's less than 20 lb and that would be the main reason you are losing fish. I would try 30lb main line and 50 lb trace.

I am using 30lb braid and 20lb braid all of the fish i have lost have broken the trace and not near the knots.

I was just thinking if the action of the lure isnt dampened much by the heavier trace i would be better off using it but if im only going to get 50% of what i am hooking now i would rather lose a few lures as im not catching many anyway unfortunately.

just when i cant get enough livies. I will upgrade the trace next time i go out thanks for the advice

Edited by mark84

Guest Big-Banana

20lb is way to light. I fish 80lb minimum in the harbour, I do troll very large baits, and I catch more than I lose.