Daiwa Monster Mesh

Kirks

Hey Guys

Looking for a rod for my saltist 50, and I came across the Daiwa Monster Mesh. :thumbup:

The rod is rated 3-6 pe 30lb-60lb rod rating. My saltist runs 80lb braid and I was wandering if the rod will snap and I will be left Pissed of hahha.

I was thinking also about selling my saltist 50 and replacing it with a saltist 30 just to balance the outfit a bit more. Then to run a 50lb braid over it then. What are your thoughts.

As long as a don't push it to is limits it should be fine hopefully.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

I've got the pe2-4 spinning version of the rod and really like it, its strong and the combination of graphite and fibreglass is very good. I think you'll be fine running 80lb braid on it as long as you don't overset your drag, the rod will say whats its maximum capacity is, probably about 12kg mine is 10kg which is more than you should need when targeting kings and jews in Sydney.

In saying that though the rod will always go before any braid as i found out the hard way a few months ago, if a fish has you wedged in something well enough and the line isnt hitting anything sharp then the rod will just snap as the braid is too strong.

Good luck with your choice

Josh

Hey Josh

Thanks for that excellent info mate.

Yeh the rod is probs a definite, the reel, I might sell to someone and get a saltist 30 as it smaller and it won't twist as much on the rod. 50lb braid should cover most things, jews kings in the rivers. Also it can be used to jig offshore.

Cheers

Steve

Hey Guys

Looking for a rod for my saltist 50, and I came across the Daiwa Monster Mesh. :thumbup:

The rod is rated 3-6 pe 30lb-60lb rod rating. My saltist runs 80lb braid and I was wandering if the rod will snap and I will be left Pissed of hahha.

........As long as a don't push it to is limits it should be fine hopefully.

Cheers

Steve

It depends on what you are going to put a 30-60 lb monster mesh rod thru Stevie, if it's going to be used for bordering off concrete you might void void the warranty that's about all :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Guys

I was thinking also about selling my saltist 50 and replacing it with a saltist 30 just to balance the outfit a bit more. Then to run a 50lb braid over it then. What are your thoughts.

As long as a don't push it to is limits it should be fine hopefully.

Cheers

Steve

Steve for your size I don't think you could put enough pressure on it to snap a rod rated that high.That's something like 8kgs of cosistant drag pressure. That's what I fish for tunas and such.

For your size I wouldn't recomend anything higher than 50lb max. It still has to be managable for you to move around a deck fully loaded up. Hopefully you'll get to experience that on Monday :biggrin2: .

Greg

Hi Steve,

I've got the pe2-4 spinning version of the rod and really like it, its strong and the combination of graphite and fibreglass is very good. I think you'll be fine running 80lb braid on it as long as you don't overset your drag, the rod will say whats its maximum capacity is, probably about 12kg mine is 10kg which is more than you should need when targeting kings and jews in Sydney.

In saying that though the rod will always go before any braid as i found out the hard way a few months ago, if a fish has you wedged in something well enough and the line isnt hitting anything sharp then the rod will just snap as the braid is too strong.

Good luck with your choice

Josh

Hi Kirkby,

I have the same rod as Josh, and would have to agree with all his comments. I'm also very pleased with mine and haven't once regretted my purchase. They're pretty light weight, but extremely gutsy, and I reckon they look pretty sexy as well.

It sounds like you'll have a pretty deadly combo there, but just make sure you get some good advise on setting your drag pressure properly if you're not 100% sure already, particularly if you're planning on pushing your gear to the limits of 10kg+ drag. Also, 10kg may not sound like a huge amount of weight, but in terms of drag, it's pretty massive. There are some pretty big dudes out there who would struggle to stay in boat fishing those sorts of drags so be careful!

Best of luck with it! Hope you hook a sea monster!

Geoff.