Camera

high_speed_metal

Looking to buy a New camera with the rudd payout. I want to start getting into the article side of fishing so a good digital SLR is needed.

Recommendations?

That depends on just how upmarket you want to go and whether you want to take the camera on your boat or not. Added to that, how big is your boat. My personal preference - if you really want a good camera - is a Canon 450D. Very nice piece of equipment but not something I would recommend taking on a small boat. If you want something for a boat, then I would go with a 5 mega compact digital such as those in the Olympus FE range.

Hi there,

I have a canon 350D and would defiantly recommend it or the 450D. I have never had a problem with mine but try not to take it with me fishing every day due to the rough and tumble aspect. My every day camera is an Olympus MJU 1030, waterproof and oops proof. You will probably get a lot of recommendations that are either going to be Canon or Nikon. Both have excellent cameras and it is much like the Shimano/Daiwa debate that we see here all the time.

Best advice I can give is to buy a good quality, water proof padded bag to carry it and your lenses in. Also look into good second hand lenses that will suit your style, some of the ones that come as standard with the cameras aren't that great.

Good luck

alasdair

Do a course to learn how to photograph better as well as a good camera is only half of it. Learn the basics of settings and fatures as if you dont learn them now you never will.

Edited by pelican

Do a course to learn how to photograph better as well as a good camera is only half of it. Learn the basics of settings and fatures as if you dont learn them now you never will.

Guess I have to buy a camera first eh, That is a good idea tho I will have to look into it after purchase, I did have and SLR when film was still around and I had that mastered very well

basically want to spend around $1000 give a bit more if needed, Want to get Ideas on whats out their first and what fisherman/writers use before I go speak to some sales nerd who has no idea, trying to make budget saying he owns three of them.

The question on how big is my Boat? I fish from an old town loon. a sit in Kayak. I fish creeks/backwaters/dams/and sand flats.

G'day HSM,

If you want to shoot for articles... give the mags a call first and talk to the editors. They have particular requirements for phot quality... 5 mega pixel isn't good enough for publishing in most Australian mags. Also, if you're serious, get a digital SLR... I don't have one and the photo quality shows it.

I've been trying to convince Mrs Slinky that I need a Nikon D200 or D300... funnily, she fails to see that it's critically important :wife::biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

Guess I have to buy a camera first eh, That is a good idea tho I will have to look into it after purchase, I did have and SLR when film was still around and I had that mastered very well

basically want to spend around $1000 give a bit more if needed, Want to get Ideas on whats out their first and what fisherman/writers use before I go speak to some sales nerd who has no idea, trying to make budget saying he owns three of them.

The question on how big is my Boat? I fish from an old town loon. a sit in Kayak. I fish creeks/backwaters/dams/and sand flats.

In the cannon eos ( now 350, 450d etc series ) the selection wheel for all the settings has remained the same now with the digital back end so it is a easy transition from earlier cannon stuff. . If you had decent lenses from the film camera they also fit straight on so they are not wasted but focal length is altered. . Just thought I'd comment as it can save a lot of $ and learning time. In the cannon range the 450d is good midrange and allow cropping but kits are selling at $1300 and you will need a serious wet bag to look after it as well. Perhaps a support boat? I wouldn't trust myself o yack with a big SLR and you start needing a quite wide angle at such a short distance to subject.

Edited by pelican

In the cannon eos ( now 350, 450d series the selection wheel for all the settings has remained the same now with the digital back end so it is a easy transition . If you had decent lenses from the film camera they also fit straight on so they are not wasted but focal length is altered. . Just thought I'd comment as it can save a lot of $ and learning time. In the cannon range the 450d is good midrange and allow cropping but kits are selling at $1300 and you will need a serious wet bag to look after it as well. Perhaps a support boat? I wouldn't trust myself o yack with a big SLR and you start needing a quite wide angle at such a short distance to subject.

One editor I have been talking to recons Nikon D80 or Cannon 40D is the ducks nuts for it at the moment,

I could easy trust myself in the yak with my Camera, I don't fish rough waters and it is bloody hard to tip, I have gone against some mega boat wakes only to be surprised that I'm still sitting in it. I have good storage in the back behind the seat as the seat is on runners and moves forward very easy and that's where the Camera would sit in my dry-bag. here a photo.

post-9132-1239414339_thumb.jpg

A mate who has the same Yak can take photos of this quality on a small tripod

post-9132-1239414718_thumb.jpg.

Check out dpreview.com it has really good reviews of all cameras on the market with very detailed reports.

I have just recently upgraded to a Nikon D700, after many months of convincing my better half it is a need.

Bottom line is- if you enjoy something then the price is justified. A good DSLR is an investment not just a toy, and photography is great self expression!.

Hi, any of the Canon DSLR's are great cameras. I have a 5D with a range of lenses and couldnt be happier. Dont forget its not necessarily the camera that makes the difference, It has a lot to do with the person behind it.

Good luck.