The Yaris Survived!

Wantingaboat

I just wanted to thank all those people that have helped me out over the last few weeks with my boat and towing questions. Without this site i would be in deep poo. On Saturday morning i hooked it up to the little Yaris and off we went. Got to the ramp with no dramas at all. Police were there doing all the safety checks on the boats and breathalizers. Launch was sweet. Even nailed the reverse park in front of the boys in blue. Anyway to cut a long story short the fishing was slow. We only had bait shop bought pilchards and that was my biggest regret. We found a spot that i frequent and it was packed with two charters and a few others. The charters were both using fresh squid strips and were pulling in king after king whilst we were getting squat. I chucked out a 7 inch jerk shad and one of them gobbled it quick. Got it aboard and was only 60cm. Back in she went. Still havent cracked the 60cm king yet. That was the end of the kings hooked. Anyway i was worried all the time about pulling the boat up the ramp with the car. Got her back and hooked up, cranked it onto the trailer and then she was pulled up no worries. The ramp was wet and slimey but was all good. My next car will be a bit bigger but until then i am happy i now have a boat and a car capable of towing it. Thanks again to all those that helped out. Heres proof its not at the bottom of the river.

post-9512-1239592752_thumb.jpg

Cheers Mike.

Great to hear it all went well for you Mike! :thumbup:

Glad the members could help you out.

Shame about the fishing. It always pays to put in the time to get your own squid & yakkas. I'm sure you would have got onto some good fish.

Cheers,

Grant.

Glad your day was a sucess and went smoothly.

We had a mate who used to tow a tiny with a sirion and one day we stuck a cardboard cut out of a key ( like a wind up toy) on the roof as he left home - he was not impressed as he drove to the ramp with it and was even less impressed to see a second one on it in he carpark. Too much time on out hands that week

Can't remember if yours was a manual or auto Yaris but might be worth checking with dealer for an auto that for around the city you stick it in 3rd . No different to having 5 people in the car but the little autos get damaged if they pull weights in 4th /5th. Same with a manual use higher revs in each gear and don't use 5th as a general rule. Box in the Yaris will last the distance that way. Toyota dealer or owners manual will tell you .

Nothing wrong with towing with it at all and for short runs it will be easy and comfortable as long as you recognise teh limitations on braking and acceleration you'll never have an issue.

Police also book people at ramps who have obviously overweight rigs , brakes disconnected or unroadworthy and up the coast have teamed up a few times with mobile RTA scales and test rigs (usually used for trucks) and catch a lot of people out who are none the wiser about all the camping gear and 10 cases of beer in the boat.

I take heed of all of your advice. Yes i didnt use 5th or even 4th gear. Not sure if it even got into 3rd. The automatic has an option of using 1st and 2nd like a manual. It seems the braking ability is greatly enhanced when in these gears which is a definate plus. I made sure to keep a massive distance but at 5am there werent that many on the road. The way back was a different story. Those of you that know Victoria rd know what i mean. I will continue to keep it safe and not push the boundaries. I value my car and boat too much(life too).

I take heed of all of your advice. Yes i didnt use 5th or even 4th gear. Not sure if it even got into 3rd. The automatic has an option of using 1st and 2nd like a manual. It seems the braking ability is greatly enhanced when in these gears which is a definate plus. I made sure to keep a massive distance but at 5am there werent that many on the road. The way back was a different story. Those of you that know Victoria rd know what i mean. I will continue to keep it safe and not push the boundaries. I value my car and boat too much(life too).

Would pay to get an external auto trans cooler fitted as well to help with the longevity of the auto. Heat in an auto destroys them very quickly, ive already learnt my lesson with that one