Big King Botany Bay 1.2 Metres 09 / 04 / 09

dogtooth

Hi everyone,

It had been over a month since I had chased kingfish in Botany Bay so I decided to give it a go. Now my mate Mitch had never fished in my boat so I gave him a call to see if he was willing to have a fish, the weather for the day was flat and perfect. The first morning duties was to capture a few squid for bait it didn’t take long and the greenhorn Mitch was soon matching me squid for squid . We soon had enough for bait and I had one more cast and hooked up to a kilo plus squid that was taking drag in short bursts I probably had him half way in when the rod bent even more and the drag slowly started peeling line with the 2 kg rod now maxed out for over 5 mins I was starting to wonder what was going on every time we reversed the boat closer it would just surge away and take more line , another five mins and we got colour and it was a huge cuttlefish that we soon got in the net . It was then that we noticed that the cuttlefish had attacked the huge squid. What a start to the morning …..

post-692-1239872073_thumb.jpg

cuttlefish and squid

post-692-1239872088_thumb.jpg

The cuttlefish and squid

We were soon live baiting our squid and it wasn’t long and Mitch was soon hooked up to a king fish and it was soon in the boat it went 67 cm and as we gave it the quick measure he remarked that it was the biggest fish he had ever caught . We soon had another bait in the water and after about 20 mins the rod buckled and the reel started howling zzzzzzzz this time I knew it was a good fish. Now greenhorn Mitch was hooked up to a hoodlum kingfish and was going one on one, my advice was pump and wind when possible and don’t get pulled out of the boat and don’t stop for a second or the fish will head to the bottom. After about 5 mins of intense coaching and physical pressure from Mitch the big king was boatside and I gaffed the fish and lifted it aboard it and was then that he relised just how big this fish was , It went 120 cms long and later weighed 12.5 kg :thumbup: . The strange thing was the bump in its head probably from a mesh net or something earlier in its life but it looked like a dolphin……….

post-692-1239872116_thumb.jpg

Greenhorn Mitch

post-692-1239872132_thumb.jpg

Dolphin King

post-692-1239872160_thumb.jpg

The Catch Makes the other one look small

Well that’s all that happened that day but im sure Mitch will always have a fishy stroy to tell. ……

Cheers Dogtooth…… :1fishing1: John…… :beersmile:

Edited by dogtooth

That's a thumper king mate,very well done.Very different looking head on it though,probably got a bad injury early on in its life but thankfully recover & give you a great capture,got a head like a dollie but

the body of a king.

cheers mate

Steve

Hi everyone,

It had been over a month since I had chased kingfish in Botany Bay so I decided to give it a go. Now my mate Mitch had never fished in my boat so I gave him a call to see if he was willing to have a fish, the weather for the day was flat and perfect. The first morning duties was to capture a few squid for bait it didn’t take long and the greenhorn Mitch was soon matching me squid for squid . We soon had enough for bait and I had one more cast and hooked up to a kilo plus squid that was taking drag in short bursts I probably had him half way in when the rod bent even more and the drag slowly started peeling line with the 2 kg rod now maxed out for over 5 mins I was starting to wonder what was going on every time we reversed the boat closer it would just surge away and take more line , another five mins and we got colour and it was a huge cuttlefish that we soon got in the net . It was then that we noticed that the cuttlefish had attacked the huge squid. What a start to the morning …..

cuttlefish and squid

The cuttlefish and squid

We were soon live baiting our squid and it wasn’t long and Mitch was soon hooked up to a king fish and it was soon in the boat it went 67 cm and as we gave it the quick measure he remarked that it was the biggest fish he had ever caught . We soon had another bait in the water and after about 20 mins the rod buckled and the reel started howling zzzzzzzz this time I knew it was a good fish. Now greenhorn Mitch was hooked up to a hoodlum kingfish and was going one on one, my advice was pump and wind when possible and don’t get pulled out of the boat and don’t stop for a second or the fish will head to the bottom. After about 5 mins of intense coaching and physical pressure from Mitch the big king was boatside and I gaffed the fish and lifted it aboard it and was then that he relised just how big this fish was , It went 120 cms long and later weighed 12.5 kg :thumbup: . The strange thing was the bump in its head probably from a mesh net or something earlier in its life but it looked like a dolphin……….

Greenhorn Mitch

Well that’s all that happened that day but im sure Mitch will always have a fishy stroy to tell. ……

will post a few more pics tommorow.…

Cheers Dogtooth…… :1fishing1: John…… :beersmile:

Solid fish and great report! well done.

Condrats dogtooth thats a cracka kingfish :1yikes: not to tell us the exact spot for squid but the place please or if it is inside the bay or out side . :1fishing1: Cheers bangus :thumbup:

All the Squid and Kingfish are caught inside the Bay........

Cheers John...... :1fishing1: Dogtooth.... :beersmile: