Easter Weekend Blackies

woodch0p

Hey guys,

Bit of a late post, but better late then never! Went out Friday chasing some blackies at 7am, pretty slow start to the day but around 12pm they came on the bite, was having downs every 30seconds or so, ended up with 4 blackies to 35cm and a drummer to 45cm. Had to pack it in while they were still on the bite due to running out of floats :ranting2: . There were a few that absolutely smoked me (reason for lost floats), I didn't even look like having a chance getting them in... a big drummer or surgeon my guess.

Anyway after this success I decided to take my mate out Sunday for his first attempt at chasing blackies, went to the same spot hoping for a repeat of Friday's effort. Started off looking great, his first cast produced a nice specimen to 35cm. About 15mins later I was onto one a tad smaller then his. We recieved heaps of downs for the next 30mins or so without hookups, then for the next 2hrs we were constantly hooking up on rock cale, they were fair size all averaging 45cm. Ended up landing 7 rock cale, all released. They dont fight as hard as blackies but they were fighting hard enough to keep us interested. Went quiet so we packed it in, my mate thoroughly enjoyed the day even with only 1 blackie each, i think I have converted someone :thumbup:

Sounds like a great time with your buddy, as well as getting some good fish on your own, Woodchop!

Well done. Good sized fish. Shame you lost some floats .... mabe upgrade your main line?

Roberta

Hey guys,

Bit of a late post, but better late then never! Went out Friday chasing some blackies at 7am, pretty slow start to the day but around 12pm they came on the bite, was having downs every 30seconds or so, ended up with 4 blackies to 35cm and a drummer to 45cm. Had to pack it in while they were still on the bite due to running out of floats :ranting2: . There were a few that absolutely smoked me (reason for lost floats), I didn't even look like having a chance getting them in... a big drummer or surgeon my guess.

Anyway after this success I decided to take my mate out Sunday for his first attempt at chasing blackies, went to the same spot hoping for a repeat of Friday's effort. Started off looking great, his first cast produced a nice specimen to 35cm. About 15mins later I was onto one a tad smaller then his. We recieved heaps of downs for the next 30mins or so without hookups, then for the next 2hrs we were constantly hooking up on rock cale, they were fair size all averaging 45cm. Ended up landing 7 rock cale, all released. They dont fight as hard as blackies but they were fighting hard enough to keep us interested. Went quiet so we packed it in, my mate thoroughly enjoyed the day even with only 1 blackie each, i think I have converted someone :thumbup:

I haven't fished for blackies for many years but the general consesus amongst the group was that if you were catching the cockies, you're fishing too deep. Blackfish apparently never go deeper for a bait, but will always rise (even to the surface) to take a bait. You get a cockie, raise your depth shallower by 30cm and try again....