Rod For Bream Off The Rocks

groperman

Gday guys, i've been fishing off the rocks for awhile now but only been recently getting into bream fishing off the rocks. I've got a crappy 6kg rod that i've been using it for the bream off the rocks but now I want to get a good one with a soft action but also have enough guts for me to lift the bream up from the water and occasional enough guts to fight the drummer.

I've been looking at the wilson MT4144 2 piece which seems pretty good, i would love to get a snyder one but pity they dont make them anymore.

I would love to hear from any one who has more suggestions on which rod

Cheers!

Dean

mt4144 is great for specifically targetting bream off the rocks. but i have a mt6144 myself because during this time of the year there are snapper and trevally swimming in the wash. they pull much harder than bream imo. on some occasions, tailor salmon bonito come in to play as well

interesting guys, thanks for that. I had a feel of the 4144 today and its nice, i thought the 6144 was abit too stiff for my liking. I might head for the 4144, what do you guys think of the live fibre wilson series? Not a big fan of graphite?

Each to their own but I personally wouldn't take graphite onto the rocks. Glass holds up to the knocks and bumps a lot better. But I know a lot of people do and graphite rods are definitely more pleasurable to use and better fishing tools....

Cheers, Slinky

Dont know if im being paranoid here but i just bought a snyder glas MT144 6w rod, just playing around with the set up and when i flex the rod up and down i hear a sort of crackling down near the guides. I had a look but i cant see any cracks or damage. Is it normal to hear those sounds for glass rods? or theres something wrong? Is the sound just the fiberglass flexing?

Edited by groperman

Just the epoxy cracking and the glue under the reel seat.

Wilson rods are available with fuji componentry from some stores and the live fibre are a combination of glass and graphite and are much more durable than you would assume. I have had an mt4126 live fibre for almost 10 years now and it has some of the deepest gauges in the blank yet still pulls plenty of fish from the rocks.

I'm not a master with rock fishing mate... I did heaps for many years before I got into boats about 5 years ago but there are raiders who have been doing it all their lives.

My 6144 has a low mount to suit an Alvey which is my preferred bait fishing outfit from the rocks... tough, dependable reel that copes well with being dunked in spray, dropped in pools, having abalone gut and berley smeared all over it etc.

I have a 5" Alvey loaded with 6kg mono. On the beach I usually use a running sinker above a swivel, then trace of about 60cm. Off the rocks I almost always used the simplest possible rig... a small sinker running straight down onto a hook. I fished washes in close and used lots of berley to bring in trevally, bream, drummer mainly so the sinker was always just enough to have my bait wafting around in the wash, rather than plummeting to the bottom.

A very productive way to fish.

If you're likely to want to do any spinning I'd suggest thinking about a mid mount and a threadline reel. The Alvey was fine for spinning pilchards on gang hooks (swivel & trace again)... but isn't really the ideal tool for that job. I have an MT 7144 that was better suited to that sort of fishing anyway.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks guys, I thought i was being too paranoid. Cant wait til next week to test the rod out at my bream spot! =D

I am also thinking of getting a MT6144 as a back up bream/drummer/ and spinning stick. It seems pretty strong but also has a light action.

If you want to spin then go an fsu 4120 for 10kg or a 5120 for 15kg. Designed to punch out lures from 50-90gm. The mt6144 will be an absolute pig of a rod for spinning having to soft a tip and no real grunt.

I have a live fibre 7144 mated to a biomaster 10000xt and I can attest to the durability of these rods. in 5 years of using it I've had to replace the stripper once (dropped the first section on a tiled floor) and the eva has a few gouges out of it. given the choice I'd respin it with heatshrink grips as eva on a rod with that diameter is rather uncomfortable. nice stick with allot of grunt.

If you're after a rack rod for light spinning have a look at the TICA extreme range... full graphite, but if i remember correctly they use a fibreglass scrim as mine are plenty tough. I use 2 8' and a 9' model, I prefer the 9' model and have it mated to a pflueger supreme 30mg which, aslong as you dont dunk the damn thing, holds up to saltwater really well for a magnesium framed reel. The balance of this outfit is just perfect and if it weren't for the fact that the rod was 9' long you'd swear it was a normal bream combo when using it. nice and powerful rod too, I only fish 10lb braid on mine right now but have used 20lb and it handled it rather well. my only fault with the outfit is that the stripper is a lowish frame double foot and if it ever goes bust I'll be replacing it with a y frame for a bit more distance. oh and the folding hook keeper isnt my cup of tea.

I'm also trying to get my grubby mits on a kilwell P1 matched to a tuned 6500c4. a bit much for bream fishing but it should make an excellent 8kg spinning outfit for tailor, salmon and other mid weight pelagics.