Rain, And How It Affects Fishing In Rivers?

cjchen

hi i've been reading heaps in the past 1 year

i remember other fishos saying when it rains for a few days

the rivers such as the georges turn brown

and the fish turn off the bite

was planning to try the river this weekend but im not sure now

can anyone give me more advise about the rain affecting the rivers and fishing?

how many days of rain? how many days to wait before the fish turn back on etc..

thanks alot !

hi i've been reading heaps in the past 1 year

i remember other fishos saying when it rains for a few days

the rivers such as the georges turn brown

and the fish turn off the bite

was planning to try the river this weekend but im not sure now

can anyone give me more advise about the rain affecting the rivers and fishing?

how many days of rain? how many days to wait before the fish turn back on etc..

thanks alot !

I have no idea as far as facts go, but if the fish cant see the bait they cant eat it, maybe change to chicken gut or another fowl (get it) smelling bait. Maybe they can locate food by smell instead of sight.

I'm still testing whether this is true or not.

But in my experience, after a few days of heavy rain, as it starts to clear up the following days, they should be back on the bite. Even if the water is murky, the fish will be hungry as the weather improves.

Anyway, it had been raining for the past few days. Last night I headed down to Balmoral and Greenwich, since there was a clearing, no rain, not much wind. There was not a single bite, on prawns, chicken, fish fillets, mullet gut. The water was very murky, no baitfish was seen near the surface.

After we left it began to pour again, and the winds picked up.

or they could just lie down in the depths of the river to hibernate for a bit until water quality improves. Since the freshwater with a lot of the gunk won't really be noticeable down in the depths.

I often fish up stream at Roseville, which get's pretty brown after rain. What I have found is that the smaller fish dissappear and the big ones are still there and with less competition, so that's what I catch.

I have pulled a jewie out of there in chocolate water at low tide, and a stonker flattie in water not much clearer.

The advantage that the water up there might have over other rivers is the very deep water in middle harbour which takes a lot of fresh to really go brown so I guess it cleans it out quickly too, and the fish would know this and might not bother moving too far.

Just theories though.

Dave

I often fish up stream at Roseville, which get's pretty brown after rain. What I have found is that the smaller fish dissappear and the big ones are still there and with less competition, so that's what I catch.

I have pulled a jewie out of there in chocolate water at low tide, and a stonker flattie in water not much clearer.

The advantage that the water up there might have over other rivers is the very deep water in middle harbour which takes a lot of fresh to really go brown so I guess it cleans it out quickly too, and the fish would know this and might not bother moving too far.

Just theories though.

Dave

Thats nice to hear Dave, I'm doing a landbased session up there with Kirkby tomorrow, fingers crossed :1prop:

one of the hottest fishing weeks I have ever seen was at wisemans ferry after a week of solid rain and the fish were absolutely biting there heads off- flathead all around the 3 1/2 to 4lb mark and jew one after the other several around the 10 - 15lb mark - every prawn was a fish and you couldnt use more than 1 rod because the action was so hot!

Last april the water was dirty from rain and I caught several good jew in the day time including a 25lber a 22lber and a14lber all in the daytime in dirty water. I caught a 12lb jew on sunday night and the water was dirty!

My theory is as long as you dont get flood conditions it can actually be quite beneficial to fishing conditions, It usually gets the prawns running and the fish are there feeding on the smorgess board!

give it a go you might be surprised at the result.

Pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots