Spooling New Line

peahead

Hey fisho's

I have recently moved across to braid and have started converting my reels over to suffix, tuff line and stren braids.

But what I am finding is when I finish respooling the line it now has an hour glass shape to it, that is plenty of line at the top and bottom of the spool and less in the middle. The casting doesn't seem to be affected but when i took the line of the spool originally the mono was nice and even on the spool.

I ensured the braid went on nice and tight.

Is there a reason why this happens and how can I go about fixing it in future?

Cheers

Jim

G'day Peahead,

What sort of reel is it. I've noticed that some older style reels seem to do this... I had Shimano Baitrunner 3500A that did exactly the same thing and a small, older good quality Daiwa spin reel too.

If it's bunched towards the top or bottom it's easily solved by adding or removing spacer washers under the spool but I think the hourglass comes from the way the older style spools lay line combined with braid that lays differently and is often considerably thinner than the mono you might otherwise use. I had the same problem with my Baitrunner once when I tried to spool it up with very fine 6lb Super 100 mono.

I'd like to know the answer to this one too.

Cheers, Slinky

Its the ocsilating design of the gears that makes it spool on like that on the older models. You will find that mostly all the new reel design will not do this as manufacturers needed to compromise for majority of people using braid.

Thanks gents,

SlinkyMalinky, It's funny you mention Daiwa and the Shimano as the issue I am having are on those reels. The baitrunner 4500 and Daiwa excelor 4000 are the culprits.

Oh well will have to live with it.

Thanks

Thanks gents,

SlinkyMalinky, It's funny you mention Daiwa and the Shimano as the issue I am having are on those reels. The baitrunner 4500 and Daiwa excelor 4000 are the culprits.

Oh well will have to live with it.

Thanks

Hi peahead

I have just purchased a Daiwa Excelor 1500, and have the very same issue. I used 3lb Crystal Fireline. As you say, I haven't noticed any problem with casting, but it doesn't look right. This is a brand new reel, so not sure that the problem is limited to older type reels.

Sean

I just emailed Daiwa about this issue and the response I received was to:

1) Make sure the start knot i.e. knot from backing to the reel is in the middle of the spool.

2) Make sure the backing line is of similar breaking strain to the braid otherwise the first 10 turns of the braid will slip through the mono due to the size difference between them.

Hope this helps.