Silstar Crystal Blue 10-15kg

Kirks

Hey Guys

Looking to purchase two 10-15kg Crystal blue rods as I have heard they are good value for money rods.

Going to put a shimano 6500 baitrunner with 30lb Berkley Whiplash braid on one of the rods. And on the other a Shimano Spheros 14000 loaded with either 30lb or 50lb Berkley Whiplash braid on it.

They will be used for jews and kingies in the harbour and Hawksbury.

Can anyone give me some reports on the quality of these rods and how well they work under pressure of a big fish.

Cheers

Steve

I've got/had a 6-10kg crystal blue and a 3-5kg crystal blue that i love. I fished a 6500 BR on the 6-10kg for kings and jews with 20lb mono and sometimes to 30lb braid successfully and it was great. I unfortunately broke the reel seat on it on a king. So i reckon as long as the reel seat on the 10-15kg Crystal blue is stronger than the 6-10kg and it feels like the reel fits snuggly in the seat then i think it would be a great combo.

Just my opinion on the situation anyway.

Edited by Captain Spanner

Nice, tough and light rod but I too have broken the reel seat on a 6'6" 10-15kg Crystal Blue rod. Got it replaced under warranty though no questions asked, didn't have to show a receipt, the guy at the tackle shop said no probs and the next time the Silstar rep was out they exchanged it for a new one.

I had the original one matched up to a Baitrunner 4500 for kingies but then had a go with my Penn 750SSM and the reel seat didn't last too long in the 1st session I had hooking into rat kings. I haven't tried the Penn in the replacement rod yet but something to consider mate. The baitrunner fits in the nicely but the Penn maybe too chunky for the reel seat?

They are lighter than a standard glass rod though.

Hoping the replacement rod holds up next time I want to use it with the Penn. I'm going up to Port Douglas next month so might take it along for a test.

Marty

I have 3 models in the 10-15kg range, 6', 6'6", 7'. All running 12000FA Spheros'

The 6' rod has landed a 6ft reef shark on 50lb braid, can't fault them. The 6' rod was also used for tossing poppers off the rocks for GT's, been connected a few times but never landed due to straightened hooks =(

Hey Guys

Just looking a catalog from a fishing store in coffs. They have all the rods, but they don't state whether the rods are spin or overhead. Is there anyway to tell if they are spin or overhead versions.

Might buy two and give em a whirl on a few jew.

Cheers

Steve

Hey Guys

Just looking a catalog from a fishing store in coffs. They have all the rods, but they don't state whether the rods are spin or overhead. Is there anyway to tell if they are spin or overhead versions.

Might buy two and give em a whirl on a few jew.

Cheers

Steve

There should be a product code that might give a hint. Otherwise you could try to cross reference the product code/model number with the silstar catalogue if there is one. Mind you i haven't tried to do this.

I have the 6'6" 10-15kg, im yet to actually put it thru its paces as everything ive caught so far it has just winched in with ease including decent size kings and dollies up at SWR. Cant go wrong for the money if you ask me :1fishing1:

The rod model number will have an S in it for spin or O for overhead although several tackle stores seem to think using the crystal blue spins either way isnt a problem.

Look on the website for the appropriate model

http://www.freetime.com.au/home/silstar/pr...e%20Power%20Tip

• 2 weeks later...