Fishing For Jewfish With Other Members Also In Boats

jewgaffer

Hi Everyone

Members being able to fish for jewfish together in separate boats to cover a pre-selected area could be a good idea in my opinion, in order to be able to meet or catch up with other members with the same interest, and also to be able to gauge the jewfish situation from time to time, do well themselves and be in a position to pass on the results of each session for the benefit of other members, and is basically what this topic is all about....

I had a look at a recent post of Musty's advising that he was going to have another go at the Georges River jewfish this morning and I noticed a couple of replies from other members indicating that they were keen to catch up with Musty and fish for jewfish in the Georges together at some time in the near future ...

Musty has had several chats with me in the past about having a jewfish session and also keeps in contact with a mutual friend Paul Esky6 who has become a good family friend of mine and has caught soapies and school jewfish with me before and often calls into my place for a chat..............

As you may be aware, Musty has had good success on the jewfish in the Georges lately using soft plastics, and indicated that he was planning to have another go up river early this morning... I'd say, due to the run in tide being around two hours or more late in that part of the Georges and, given the settling period, Musty's session would centre around the bottom of the tide still water and go well up into the run in tide which often fishes as well up river as the downriver areas and the adjacent beaches fish towards the top and during the run out tide when small fish etc are forced out into deeper water ...

I'm sure we wish him all the best for his proposed soft plastics session today and, whilst not really guaging the present jewfish situation according to the results of one soft plastics fisherman or the results of a lone bait fisherman restricted to fishing a particular area within a time frame for that matter, it would be interesting to see how Musty goes.... Naturally one would normally expect there would be more chances if a number of boats were fishing together and covering the particular area or another likely area that's been agreed on.....

I think it's an excellent idea of Zephi's to want to participate in future jewfish sessions as indicated in his reply to Musty's post, and also looking at the reply by Wannafish, also indicates that perhaps some others might like to catch up and do a jewfish session in the Georges in close proximity to one another...

In saying that, it would also be a good idea for members to get together and cover the jewfish spots in other areas as well as fishing in the Hawkesbury and covering the performing spots up there during the day as well as the night, in order to keep up with the jewfish situation from time to time and report back for the benefit of other members.....

It would be good to see some of our members meeting up as regularly as time permits and having a good go at the Georges jewfish in a few boats as a team, and particularly arranging to get in there to strike the fish feeding at both tide changes - I.E. The jewfish already in the system waiting for the new water to come in and bringing new bait fish in with it, and the new arrivals, accustomed to waiting for baitfish to move out with the tide as they themselves come in and go up river to join the fish already in the system for the breeding period before going out to spawn..... Like all species coming into an estuary at the peak part of their season, we can only wait and see what the numbers are going to look like when there are signs of their arrival, either by going off our own results or by getting reliable feedback based on the results of others........

It would be great to see several Fishraider's boats spread all around a couple of selected spots.....In fact if members have the opportunity to do that, I reckon it would really test the waters.......... Now that the kingfish have thinned down somewhat as Musty infers and seems to be the case it would be a good time for members, fishing away in general, to carry a jewfish rod with them .... I wonder about about the hoodlum schools... We've had long periods of unusually good fishing in general since spring of last year and hoodlum size kingfish well may show up this Autumn like they have in the past after a similar good season like we've had including a long period of activity when fishing for general species... Apart from an irregular show of hoodlums, hoodlums usually arrive late in the winter and at the tail end of the present schools of juvenile king fish which have been caught regularly since spring and we have to take literally hundreds other fishermen's results that we don't know about into account as well....

Anyone else interested in having a preliminary get together, you are quite welcome to make contact with me and call in to my place for a visit and a bit of a talk about locations etc as I guess I'll be mainly house bound and not doing much fishing for a while yet and would be happy to have a bit of a chat about fishing for jewfish and also about fishing for fish that are likely to be caught in jewfish areas as well.....

If we can get some keen members together to fish in a small convoy as a team, and when I'm ready to fish along quietly with a bit of help with my boat after my recent back operation, my mate Paul aka Esky6 who lives up my way is keen to come along from this end and we will be having a session in the Georges with an old mate of mine who lives down there and should have enough have room for another experienced member to come along with us.

I like the idea of other members meeting up and doing similar jewfish sessions in other areas as I think doing sessions like that would be quite unique and the results could be very interesting to say the least....

I rather like the idea of having a few other boats around to anchor reasonably close by, drop down a variety of baits and plenty of bottom burley where feasible to attract interest around the boats, and to be able to thoroughly cover an area.

Being mostly late afternoon starts and night fishing in all the other areas, apart from those who are in a position to fish the Hawkesbury by day, I'd be interested in the response as far as potential starters go for a team effort on the jewfish every now and then, as there would always be better percentages fishing in numbers and working as a team.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

sounds like a great idea mate. i would be keen to do something like that.

i was going out into botany bay on friday nite i launched the boat at tom ugly's and unfortunatly thats as far as we got engine was overheating. so didnt wanna waste a night. ended up anchoring near the bridge and dropped some really fresh squid, and some yakka's we caught that night.

we ended up with 2 jewies 1 was 54cm and the other 61cm and a flatty that was about 60cm.

we were on the water at 8.30pm started fishing at around 9pm and were back at the ramp at around 12pm. we fished the run out then the conditions got pretty ugly so we left.

cheers hamerz.

Sounds like a plan. I would be in but i think the drive out west could kill the yaris. Will have to set up camp in the harbour and hope for the best.

Hi Wantingaboat.. It would be good if you could to catch up and accompany a couple of other members in your boat who do fish in the main Harbour and particularly in Middle Harbour because the more numbers that get together for a fish up there, the more results we'll get back to keep us all up to date with the jewfish situation i.e. if they all flex a bit and do a night session close to one another to cover the particular location/s up there and report back each time...

I hope there are others who would be interested in doing a jewfish session at night in the Middle Harbour area as well

Cheers mate.. Thanks

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I'm keen to join the team. I'll be in the hacking land based most probably but I might be able to get the boat out. If I am stuck on land I'm open to the idea of some boaties herding the fish up towards me ;)

I think there should be a short list of preferred dates that take into account a good tide thats not at some crazy hour like 4am.

I'm keen to join the team. I'll be in the hacking land based most probably but I might be able to get the boat out. If I am stuck on land I'm open to the idea of some boaties herding the fish up towards me ;)

I think there should be a short list of preferred dates that take into account a good tide thats not at some crazy hour like 4am.

Hi wttmrwolf Thanks mate :thumbup: ... I'm not ready myself to fish yet following my back op but I would like to see more member interest and start getting more names etc , hoping to help members to get it together etc wherever I can... You are most welcome to come out on my boat if you can't get your boat out at the time......A 7-9 pm tide change in the winter would be fine and every week selected would have a change of tide direction, so the location would have to be decided based on either a run in tide and/or a run out tide accordingly..... Naturally allowances would be made for members not being able to fish for too many hours.. It's members participation during the best tide times that counts, and not the number of hours they are expected to fish...

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Cheers

So weak.....I'll be there at 4am with no feeling in my hands!

Seriously though, I'm in. I love with middle harbour and fishing for jew there. Infact I'll be doing just that on Saturday morning if anyone want's to team up?!

Dave

Edited by King slayer

Yeah no worries Byron. I am happy to take out a few raiders who dont have boats. I think more than three in the tinny would be pushing it though. They may be able to find more comfortable rides however and deny the tinny the oportunity to show them what she is made of. My only jew to date is about 35cm. Pathetic i know. I find that everytime i fish and even more so when you are around experienced fishos you learn something so thats gold. Jewgaffer if you bulid it, they will come. In other words set a date, preferably sat night/Sunday morning for me, and we shall do everything that we can to bring in a few jew. I want to get a new stradic 4000 soon so hopefully that will deal with a monster jew and if not then the live fibre with the tyrnos will do. :yahoo:

Hi Byron how is the healing process going mate,count me in for sure.

Cheers Tim

Thanks to all those members who have replied so far :thumbup: this concept of members fishing for jewfish together in separate boats is for the benefit of everyone interested in being sucessfull at catching more jewfish and airing their results for the benefit of others......

I've been thinking about how members could go about notifying others that their intention was to fish on the coming Saturday for example and whether they intended doing say a Hawkesbury day session, an afternoon start for a night session or for that matter a double session i.e a day and night session but only as regards the Hawkesbury, the other areas being better off considered as sundown to evening propositions.... The Georges, the Hacking and the Harbour, in my opinion should be fished from near sundown into the night after allowing time to catch live bait.......

For starters, members could perhaps put up a post in live chat and stay logged in with the volume up so as to be able to hear a sound sent to the room notifying that another interested member has logged in........... The live chat post could be put in say on a Thursday evening when the women are on the way out shopping etc...... There have been many posts in replies to topics etc where members have said "hope to catch up with you on the water, I'll be lauching at Tom Ugly's, Wally's, Brookyln's or Roseville etc", so the opportunity is there to form a small convoy of different and/or regular attendees fishing in a group for jewfish so to be able to concentrate Fishraider boats into a pre-selected area...... Even if they are fishing a fair distance apart others can be notified of hook ups by mobile phone as jewfish do hunt in packs and hang around points and pylons or someone might be anchored in casting distance of a big school of jewfish just hanging over sand on the bottom......

There is another forum called "what's everyone doing this weekend" and that section could be used by members who see the merit that there is in fishing among a group of Fishraider boats and utlise this particular forum to that end....otherwise this won't get organised properly and this excellent concept that I know it is, will slowly fade away and make us all wanna do's or gunna do's, me included.

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

hi im new but i didnt think that would matter, i always hit up the georges river in my boat and we sometime go for the jewies so if you let me know what day ill be part of the team, i can usually only go on weekend though. sounds like a really good idea and i am def keen to get involved if youll have me.

cheers.

I see a Jewfish Social coming on! :biggrin2:

Good idea down the track Billy..... We could also see if it can be left open to the jewfish teams that hopefully can be established as a result of this topic - verses the rest - all showing flags and perhaps have fishing at locations a certain distance away made compulsory for the teams V the rest on a first in first served basis..

Cheers :thumbup:

Edited by jewgaffer

hey byron

me and my dad will be very interested especialy around the georges river and port hacking.

just let us know when you are looking to do it so we can our boat to the destination.

cant wait to we get togeather (the jewie social :tease: )

regards fisherboy and on the behalf of fisherdad :1fishing1:

Hey guys

im in i fish the harbour and would love some one on my boat that knows abit about the jew never had much success with them but never really tried and would be keen to try

Adzzy