Ufm Rods

GregL

Hi Raiders

Over the last 12 months I have been chasing snapper on plastics along the NSW coast.

We mainly target the shallow reefs with less than 30m of depth and fish 1/2 and 3/4 ounce heads.

At the start I started with a Loomis 7ft light spin rod that was rated 6-12lb but found out very fast there wasn't enough balls in the butt end. Next was another Loomis that I had at home which was a little heavier but also a 7'6"rod. I found that this had the butt and casted the jigs further than my old one.

My fishing buddies then moved upto Daiwa 8ft Sol's. They were casting past me......

My next move I went the Daiwa Morthan Branzino Day Breaker 8'2". What a beautiful rod to use but lacked a little in the butt end on the long cast for setting the hook. I fished with this model for the last 10 months and caught some nice fish but lost many of the big pigs hooked. In the 10 months also I broke 2 of these just behind the second guide. Strange that both broke in the same place.....

A few months back while fishing a QLD dam for barra I used a Ian Miller Beast Buster Toad. A piece of art!

With all good things coming to those that wait, I'm still waiting!!!

2 weeks ago on my lunch break while surfing the net I found a rod that should suit my snapper needs :biggrin2: but it's a brand I have never heard of..... UFM, anyone?

Yesturday the rod arrived in from Japan. Impressed? Sure am!

It's made from Boron and at 9ft, matched with one of my 3000 Branzino's loaded with 20lb SI braid it should cast a mile!

Price wise it's up there with a IMX Loomis so it's not cheap but when a Morthan Branzino rod retails at $1100 the UFM is good value for money.

Greg

Good on your Greg, I reckon this Ian Miller Beast Buster Toad sounds like a bit of a performer with plenty of grunt and as far out casting the others goes and those G. Loomis rods breaking for no particular reason..... I hope this UFM doesn't turn into a UFO after you cast it... :1yikes:

Cheers mate thanks for the thumbs up on the toad

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Very interested in the UFM Greg... :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

keep me posted on performance. My nitros are looking like they may have to be upgraded soon.

Hey Vince, if your heading out on the weekend pop up and grab it for a run if you like?

I'm off to a 3 day benda in one of the monster houses down cottage point for a birthday party...... :wacko:

Greg

You're dead right about the longer rods Greg. I'm using an 8' Sol and it makes an awesome difference. It makes handling fish around the boat a whole lot easier too... particularly around the outboard.

Once you've used the 9 footer I'd be interested to know how easy you find it for working the plastics too.... Hope it lives up to you're aspirations... you're in line for that 10kg Red soon aren't you??

Cheers, Slinky

Hey Greg,

Arent they for saltwater flyfishing? Coz I remember one of this guys I saw 3 months ago was getting one off the guides replaced as he damaged it at transport(car / plane I dont know) and it was written Boron and I noticed the reel seat was all the way down.

You're dead right about the longer rods Greg. I'm using an 8' Sol and it makes an awesome difference. It makes handling fish around the boat a whole lot easier too... particularly around the outboard.

Once you've used the 9 footer I'd be interested to know how easy you find it for working the plastics too.... Hope it lives up to you're aspirations... you're in line for that 10kg Red soon aren't you??

Cheers, Slinky

I use my two 9's and even a 10 footer in my console boat and fish them above the 7 footers and have done so in open boats the past... I tend to favour the longer rods to be able to leave them way out by themselves and they stay well clear of and above the other rods, the relevent rail mount holders being adjusted to suit from the word go..... Even though they are two and three foot longer than the others they are no problem to use and are a real asset to have in an open boat...........

The longer rods are also handy fished in close when using a non casting Alvey or an overhead where a bait can be dropped straight down behind a heavy weight burley bomb roped off alongside the motor which I do most of the time anyway......

When you've been anchored for a while it's amazing how fish tend to hang around under your boat including bait fish..... No doubt you have struck that good fish right under the boat thing in the past Slinky and Greg....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Greg,

Arent they for saltwater flyfishing? Coz I remember one of this guys I saw 3 months ago was getting one off the guides replaced as he damaged it at transport(car / plane I dont know) and it was written Boron and I noticed the reel seat was all the way down.

Yeah they do make fly rods as well.

The plugging special series are spin rods.

post-3563-1241135449_thumb.jpg

G