Lowrance Hds Sounders

glennmreid

I have been looking at the Lowrance HDS 5x sounder, and I am just a little confused. You can get the sound with a 200/50 khz transducer, or a 200/83khz transducer. The model with the 200/50 khz transducer is about $100 more expensive. Can anyone tell me why 2 different transducer models, and their uses. Why is the model with the 200/50 khz slightly more expensive? Anyone got on and your opinions about the unit?

Hi Chopper, I have the HDS5 200/50 model.

I have always owned and been a great fan of Lowrance sounders in particular the colour models so you can imagine my excitement when the new model arrived, I was the first one to get my hands on one!

Are they much better than the older generation sounders? well, they look better, the navigation is more intuative (one you get used to it) the daylight viewing of the unit is quite impressive but all in all there isnt a HUGE difference.

The "High Def" marketing term thay so frequently use is questionable, I would like to see a direct comparison with these and the LMS series, i dont think the quality is all that much better, saying that some of the sounder features are great, different colour viewing, nightime views etc.

The biggest improvement i have noticed is the screen refresh rate, there is hardly any lag when zooming around the screen even when the mmc card is installed.

The good news is that are not all that muh more expensive than the older model, infact if you look around they are almost on par.

All in all I rate them quite well, value for money, qualty and reliable sounders that will find you fish!

Hi Glenn, do you have any room left to fit more electronics on your girl. Raiders you should see Glenns boat, it has more toys than boats three times its size. Joking aside mate, I have not had a chance to play with these in the water but the units I have seen are excellent and in your application the 83/200kHz transducer offers more shallow water coverage and that is what you would want. Also with the introduction, soon I am told, of side imagining, like Humminbird has (and I have used this and it is excellent) it would really suit your fishing. Also with the Lowarance being NMEA2000 you can talk to your engine and get alot of cool info just with a harness and backbone.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Glenn, do you have any room left to fit more electronics on your girl. Raiders you should see Glenns boat, it has more toys than boats three times its size. Joking aside mate, I have not had a chance to play with these in the water but the units I have seen are excellent and in your application the 83/200kHz transducer offers more shallow water coverage and that is what you would want. Also with the introduction, soon I am told, of side imagining, like Humminbird has (and I have used this and it is excellent) it would really suit your fishing. Also with the Lowarance being NMEA2000 you can talk to your engine and get alot of cool info just with a harness and backbone.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey,

Thanks for the info. The girls space is quickly been filled up, still more room for the gadget man. You will be pleased to know I have fitted a small electric winch to the bow. No more back breaking anchor retrieval. You are right, there are many boats bigger than mine will less electronics. So I have the mini me version of a commercial boat :074:

I heard about this side imaging thing, what is that all about. Also, if the Lowrance sounders will have side imaging soon, does that mean if you buy one now the unit can have a future software upgrade for side imaging? Or would it mean that you would have to wait and buy a unit later on when side imaging becomes available for the Lowrance HDS units?

I was interested in the Lowrance HDS 5x, do you sell them Huey? In the Hummingbird range, what would the equivalent unit be? I was trying to find the Hummingbird website, but I can't find it. Do you know what the website is?

Hi Mate, yes we can source Lowrance gear and from what I have been told, still a bit unsure here in Oz, is that you would need to add a "black box" and also the side imaging transducer. No idea on pricing mate and I do not think we will see here downunder till 2010.

Side imagining, both HB and I guess Lowrance, because it looks very similar, is a brillant feature that for water depths that you go into with your Bermuda will show ALOT of detail. Goto www.humminbird.com to see the HB units (798cxi SI) or better yet goto www.sideimaging.com to see how good it is. Trust me, in the water it is like on the net-I was scepitial at first, but have rigged a few units now and I like it if the budget stretches that far. The HB only comes with side imagining in the big combo units and they start from $2,499 RRP. So dearer than the Lowrance HDS-5X, but it a combo unit and has the side imaging, so that needs to be factored in when comparing to the Lowrance. The new Lowrance are broad band and being digital like Raymarine have had for a few years the down looking capabilities are pretty good, but then the HB has a better screen with more pixels.

I will PM you the Raiders price for both HB and Lowrance units.

Cheers,

Huey.