Pelicans

luderick59

fished the lake 12 pm hoping to fish through the high tide havent fished here for 2mounths

first cast down goes the float and i net a 34cm next 3 all went over 30cms threw 9 fish back all just28cms + or -

all this was in 1hr so i was just settl ing into a nice afternoon then 2pelicans came on the scene every fish i hooked they would try and swallow every one i hooked so had to give it away i could not compete against the 2 of them left the fish biting at 1.30 busted a few times by big fish also

if anyone can a pelican :biggrin2:

peter :1fishing1:

They're cheeky buggers hey Peter? I've never encountered them at narra lake but I was "assaulted" once fishing off the point at long reef. Two birds saw me getting some good bream and got right up in my face and were acting very aggressively.

I felt a bit cornered with big waves to my back and these two beasts at my front. I could only get rid of them by going nuts and swinging my rod in the air, which I imagine was a hell of a show for the onlookers

The dam pelicans made me look like a goose :074:

I was fishing at the Warriewood end of Mona Vale beach a couple of years ago, I caught a decent salmon and a pelican that was sitting on the light pole near the pool saw me catch the sambo, and flew down and sat next to me. I managed to return the fish to the water, (with much honking going on) and the pelican just sat there patiently waiting me for to catch the next. Anyways, this woman comes walking along the beach and stops and looks at the pelican, then asks me in a strong english accent - is this pelican yours? I couldn't resist BSing her and replied yes, it's called Vince. She starts talking to the bird and it just sits there doing nothing, waiting for me to catch something else. Anyway things went slow on the fishing front and she walked off.

I still get a laugh of thinking of her going back and telling her mates in England about the bloke who took his pelican Vince fishing.

Edited by neilm

I was fishing at the Warriewood end of Mona Vale beach a couple of years ago, I caught a decent salmon and a pelican that was sitting on the light pole near the pool saw me catch the sambo, and flew down and sat next to me. I managed to return the fish to the water, (with much honking going on) and the pelican just sat there patiently waiting me for to catch the next. Anyways, this woman comes walking along the beach and stops and looks at the pelican, then asks me in a strong english accent - is this pelican yours? I couldn't resist BSing her and replied yes, it's called Vince. She starts talking to the bird and it just sits there doing nothing, waiting for me to catch something else. Anyway things went slow on the fishing front and she walked off.

I still get a laugh of thinking of her going back and telling her mates in England about the bloke who took his pelican Vince fishing.

:Funny-Post:

would have loved to be there

Great yarn! :thumbup::biggrin2:

Hodgey

Hey Luderick59

About 20years ago there was a report of a pelican at the entrance.

A woman was walking her chihuahua, next to the water.

Apparently Mr Pelican jumped up, promptly scooped up the dog in its beak, jumped back in the water and was last seen swimming off with the dog still barking in its pouch and just the leash hanging out from one side!!!

I suspect it was a urban myth, others might remember it better.

Trapper Tom

oh yes the caravan park pelicans i had one take my luderick about 20 metres away from me after it scooped it up from the shallows i was letting it take the line thinking it would realise and drop it. it sat down and started to try and swallow it, i didnt know what to do so i struck. the fish came out and i ended up getting it in but they hung around the whole session. I dont fish there as much now cause its happend to me a few times now. I know what you mean pete. They look good but i dont like em anymore :1badmood:

Oh and there is nothing more anoying than releasing a fish to try and be nice and not to be greedy and then a f*?&n pelican comes on over and takes your groggy fish. but they do look nice.

YouTube is awesome. You gotta love it!

Pelican Eats Pidgeon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO5ifLzLYiU&feature=fvst

Not quite a dog, but not quite a fish either.

Hey Luderick59

About 20years ago there was a report of a pelican at the entrance.

A woman was walking her chihuahua, next to the water.

Apparently Mr Pelican jumped up, promptly scooped up the dog in its beak, jumped back in the water and was last seen swimming off with the dog still barking in its pouch and just the leash hanging out from one side!!!

I suspect it was a urban myth, others might remember it better.

Trapper Tom

Sounds like a great day on the water, Peter - don't you hate pelicans? I've lost a few fish to them up here!

Heading north for 4 weeks ...... hope to catch up next time I am in SYdney

Cheerio

Roberta