The Bait Is Back...

SimJ

Went to the northern beaches last night to collect a bit of bait. Got to a favourite jetty and there was yakkas galore, really big ones too average 30cm. Not only was there heaps of big yakkas but there were some huge squid stalking around. I sent out a few livies to see if anything big was around, every one I sent out would be hit within 5 minutes of being in the water. Not by fish but by massive squid. After dropping the biggest squid i had ever seen (easily 50cm hood), I set up a spike and put a half dead yakka on it. Dropped another big squid right next to the jetty, then lost the spike :mad3: . I had lost $80 worth of jigs in the last week and i only had one 2.0 yamashita left. In my opinion it was way too small for most of the squid and on 10lb line and a small rod I dropped a lot of good squid :ranting2: . Tried switching it up by using a bigger rod and 20lb braid. Worked a treat and I soon had a few good inkers. Biggest one had 30cm hood. My 1 trusty jig was torn to shreds at the end of the night.

The only others fishing on the jetty were some friendly women and impressively they had caught around 180 big yakkas. They also caught a duck :074: that I rescued and set free.

Ended up with about 40 yakkas biggest 34cm and 6 squid. Enough bait for a day out I think :thumbup: .

Some of the bigger yakkas.

post-9568-1241467524_thumb.jpg

The poor duck.

post-9568-1241467690_thumb.jpg

The squid.

post-9568-1241467843_thumb.jpgpost-9568-1241468042_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Simmo

G'day Simmo, so you found your bait , that would be pleasing for you, now all you need to do is go catch a big something, and replace a heap of lost gear.

Hope the duck was okay..

Cheers...

Simmo

Great report there. Sorry to hear about the lost $$$$ in jigs but that's fishing. 40 yaks :1yikes:

It good to see that there is still some good fresh bait around. I myself like yo catch my own bait as is good to have a lazy day every now and then just stocking up on bait.

I was woundering what are the bag limits for different baits we catch. I have heard that all fish have a bag limit.

Squid

yak

slimies

stripies

cuttle fish

Cheers

Bob

Simmo

Great report there. Sorry to hear about the lost $$$$ in jigs but that's fishing. 40 yaks :1yikes:

It good to see that there is still some good fresh bait around. I myself like yo catch my own bait as is good to have a lazy day every now and then just stocking up on bait.

I was woundering what are the bag limits for different baits we catch. I have heard that all fish have a bag limit.

Squid

yak

slimies

stripies

cuttle fish

Cheers

Bob

G'day Bob. Here's some of the limits.

Squid & cuttlefish = 20 in total.

Slimies = 50

Yakkas, hardyheads, garfish, jack mackeral & silverfish = 50 of each or as a combination of species.

I couldn't find any limits on stripies.? :wacko:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant.

g'day simmo,

They caught and kept 180 ! I'd say you found the reason why the bait disappeared before. Sounds like a great little spot tho.

Bob or Grant, what are stripies? Striped tuna?

cheers

Greg

nice work

the beaches is always a good spot for bait

on our fish on saturday we pulled in around 30 yakkas with the average size of about 30cm within about 10min

only problem was that the kings didnt want any thing to do with them

nice work on the squid too

Richard1, I told u its normally a decent spot, sorry bout the time u went there.

Ray, the duck was fine.

Bagga, this is two of their four 25lt buckets, no water just yakkas.

post-9568-1241500224_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Simmo

Richard1, I told u its normally a decent spot, sorry bout the time u went there.

Ray, the duck was fine.

Bagga, this is two of their four 25lt buckets, no water just yakkas.

post-9568-1241500224_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Simmo

Hi Simmo,

Sounds like a good spot for bait. Any chance you could share this spot with me?

Cheers,

Jeff

well done on the bait. yakkas seem to be in all shapes and sizes at the moment. the ones i got on sunday were all tiny little dudes, they were still getting munched, but by jackets, the buggers...

might have to eat that squid!

cheers