Fiji

mark84

Im heading to fiji next month and was hoping to flick a few lures around when i get a chance (landbased). I have a 5000 size reel with 20lb braid i will take 30-50lb fluro and a 7 foot ugly stick tiger rated up to 50lb.

It is not very reefy where i will be staying, was wondering what lures anyone can reccomend and colours i was going to take some spanyid raider and snipers for long casting but any other ideas would be much appreciated.

p.s Im not sure if this should be in takle or here so sorry if i was wrong

Edited by mark84

Mate - I took similar gear last time I was there and found it worked well for me both casting & trolling. Depending on where you are staying might be worth chatting up the Fijian boys - they are often happy to take guys out in their long boats for $40 - $50 and this can be very rewarding fishing.

Take a few trolling lures (Rapala CD's or similar) and a few poppers should help you cover most bases.

Beware that on some Fiji island resorts, management discourage land based fishing (They often call this a Native Taboo) although the natives dont seem to concerned about the issue when asked. Upshot is resort guests get to spend their hard earned on charters or not fish. Can pay dividends to ask before travelling.

Hope this helps a bit.

John

Im heading to fiji next month and was hoping to flick a few lures around when i get a chance (landbased). I have a 5000 size reel with 20lb braid i will take 30-50lb fluro and a 7 foot ugly stick tiger rated up to 50lb.

It is not very reefy where i will be staying, was wondering what lures anyone can reccomend and colours i was going to take some spanyid raider and snipers for long casting but any other ideas would be much appreciated.

p.s Im not sure if this should be in takle or here so sorry if i was wrong

small to medium poppers. red head white body minnows and single strand wire (a must)